The Department of Chemical Engineering of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology was established in 1992 with the Ph.D programme. The department is one of its kind in the region, which provides not only quality under-graduate education, but also an excellent research environment through its Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral programmes. The Department has an excellent ensemble of dynamic, goal oriented, highly qualified and experienced faculty members from diverse streams and specializations. The major research activities in the Department are in the fields of Heat Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Polymer Science & Technology, Energy Management, Biochemical Engineering, Separation Processes, Reaction Engineering, Pulp and paper, and Environmental Engineering. The curricula at both the undergraduate and graduate levels are designed to support and foster Chemical Engineering as a profession, which interfaces Engineering with all aspects of Basic Sciences. Keeping in view of the current and future requirements of the academia and industry, the department of Chemical Engineering offers a wide spectrum of courses supplemented by a number of electives in the emerging areas at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. In order to ensure a broad-based education, both the theory and practical aspects of Chemical Engineering discipline are emphasized.
To be recognized as a leader committed to excellence in higher education, research and innovation that meets the aspirations of the global community.
- To provide professional environment conducive to faculty, students and staff to make lasting contributions to the advancement of knowledge.
- To be dynamic, innovative and flexible in devising UG & PG programmes in chemical engineering.
- To produce globally competent Chemical Engineers having creative skills and ethical values
- To carry out cutting-edge research and development for the benefit of society
NEWS AND UPDATES
- CHED 2016 Alumni Survey
- CHED 2015 Alumni Survey
- CHED 2014 Alumni Survey
- CHED 2013 Alumni Survey
- CHED 2017 Employer Survey
- CHED 2016 Employer Survey
- CHED 2015 Employer Survey
- CHED 2014 Employer Survey
- Feedback System
- Dr. Rajeev Mehta has been conferred the prestigious award (gold trophy) by PlastIndia Foundation (Apex Plastics Organization, India) for Best Research in Polymer Sciences, Technology and Engineering. The award has been given for his work on “Glass Fiber Reinforced Epoxy-Silyated Clay Nanocomposites”, which has implications for the Indian navy
- Department of Chemical Engineering received a grant of 194 lacs INR from DST GOI under Fund for Improvement of S & T Infrastructure (FIST) scheme.
- Ms. Yamini (BE final year) has been awarded the best paper in International conference on "Advances in Analytical Sciences (ICHHAAS-2018)" held at CSIR-IIP, Dehradun, Uttarakhand during 15th -17th March 2018.
- Mr. Tarun Jain (BE final year) has been awarded first prize in AFFICHE competition organized by AZeotropy 2018, Chemical Engineering Symposium, IIT Bombay.
- Fourteen faculty members underwent CAPSL program during 2016- 17 and 2017-18.
- ABET Team visited the department for accreditation in Nov 2017.
- Department received funding of 66 lakh through sponsored projects in 2017-18 from DST and CSIR.
- Department was re-accredited by NBA in 2017.
- Dr. H. Bhunia, Dr. R.K. Gupta, Dr. V.K. Sangal, and Dr. Avinash Chandra received grants from IAEA to present their research at the International Conference on Applications of Radiation Science and Technology (ICARST-2017) to be held at the IAEA’s Headquarters in Vienna, Austria, from 24 to 28 April 2017.
- Department received a grant of 210 lakh from DST under FIST scheme.
- Dr. Rajeev Mehta received award for the “Best Innovative Young Researcher” at the 4th International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICONN2017) at SRM University. The conference was held during 9-11 August 2017 and attracted delegates numbering above 1100 with active participation from Japan, Taiwan, and Australia etc.
- Dr. Rajeev Mehta was awarded 5 th National Award for Technology Innovation in Petrochemicals & Downstream Plastics Processing Industry (Joint Runner-up) by Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers on 21 February 2015, Bengaluru.
- The thrust areas of research include: Adsorption, Bioprocessing, Catalysis, Computational fluid dynamics, CO2 capture and sequestration, Polymers, Polymer naocomposites, Divided wall and reactive distillations, FCC modeling and simulation, Heat Transfer and Heat pipes, Industrial pollution abatement, Membrane separations, Molecular modeling, Nanofluids.
- The faculty members of the department are currently engaged in several sponsored research projects funded by various public and private agencies. In addition, DST has also sanctioned a grant of Rs. 2.10 crores under FIST scheme to augment the research facilities in the department.
- An amount of Rs. 5.00 Crores has been granted to start Centre of Excellence on Environment and Energy (NIPU under TEQIP-II, 1.2.1 Scheme).
- Strong interaction with industry through collaborative research projects and joint guidance of PhDs (HPCL R&D, Bangalore; Reliance Indistries Limited, Hazira; Setia Paper Mills, Muktsar; CGL, Mumbai; IOLCP, Barnala; Trident, Barnala).
Student internship/exchange programme
- Mr. Vivek Singh (B.E. Chemical Engg. students of 2011–15) has been selected for a six months internship programme (Jul. 2014 – Jan. 2015) in MAN, Poland under the MAN Poland Scheme 2014 (Project: Design aspects of electro coat bath and ultra filter unit).
- Mr. Abhisar Sharma and Mr. Siddarth Goel (B.E. Chemical Engg. students of 2011–15) were selected for five weeks traineeship programme (Dec. 2013 – Jan. 2014) in Saint Petersburg, Russia under Young International Perspective through AIESEC programme 2013.
- Ms. Aakanksha Dhawan and Ms. Channpreet Kaur (B.E. Chemical Engg. students of 2011–15) were selected for a five week traineeship programme (Dec. 2012 – Jan. 2013) in Svishtov, Bulgaria under AIESEC programme 2013.
- Mr. Vivek Singh (B.E. Chemical Engg. students of 2011–15) carried out a five week traineeship programme (Dec. 2012 – Jan. 2013) in Omsk, Russia under AIESEC programme 2013 (Project: Teaching English in orphanages).
- Mr. Ushnik Mukherjee, (BE Chemical Engg. student of 2009–13) carried out three months internship (Oct–Dec 2012) at University of Waterloo, Canada, under the MITACS Globalink Programme 2012.
- Mr. Suraj Kumar (M.Tech., Chemical Engg. student of 2011–13) carried out his thesis work at University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada, under the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Programme.
- Ms. Sneha Trivedi and Mr. Nipun Dogra (M.Tech., Chemical Engg. student of 2010–12) carried out their thesis work at University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada, under the Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Programme.
- Mr. Deepesh Aggarwal, Ms. Ishneet Kaur and Navjot Kaur Sandhu (BE Chemical students of 2008-12) attended three months internship (June–Aug 2011) at University of Manitoba, University of New Brunswick and University of Saskatchewan, Canada, repectively under the MITACS Globalink Programme 2011.
- Mr. Abhishek Singh (M.Tech. Chemical Student 2009–11) was trained on simulation software at Equinox, Pune, under MOU with MESH Solutions, Perth, Australia.
- Ms. Vimmi Kathpalia (M.Tech. Chemical Student 2009–11) carried out her thesis work at University of Saskatchewan, Canada.
News Letters of the Department
On Campus Placements 2012-13
- 77 out of 83 B.E. Chemical Engineering students were placed in various reputed companies through campus placements.
On Campus Placement Information
- B.E. Chemical Engineering placement records of last 5 years (≥ 6.0 CGPA)