PEO, PO & PSO
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The undergraduate Chemical Engineering program at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology is designed to prepare its graduates to be able to:
1. Apply knowledge of Chemical Engineering, critical thinking, problem solving skills and an ability to work in a team in professional engineering practice.
2. Pursue careers in process design, manufacturing, marketing, consultancy and management.
3. Conduct themselves as ethical and responsible professionals as well as articulate the environmental, safety and economic impact of their work on society.
4. Pursue higher education and embrace life-long learning suitable for the needs of the profession and society.
- PO1: Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2: Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3: Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis, and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6: The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7: Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9: Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11: Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12: Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
The students of undergraduate program in Chemical Engineering will have:
1. Basic knowledge of mathematics and sciences, for the solution of engineering problems.
2. Skill to apply the chemical engineering principles to design, analyze, and control of chemical, physical, and biochemical processes.
3. The ability to conceive and implement sustainable solutions with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, societal, and environmental considerations.