Composite Materials, CAD/Finite element methods, Heat and Mass Transfer
Composite Materials, CAD/Finite element methods, Heat and Mass Transfer
Office: # CD-105, Mechanical Engineering Department
Telephone No: +91-7837841951, +91-175-2393090 (O)
Fax No: +91-175-2364498, 2393020
Dr. Deepak Jain is working as an Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering Department at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology since June 2016. He received B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from Punjab Technical University, Punjab, India in 2001. He received M.E. in CAD CAM & Robotics Engineering in 2003 and Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering in 2015, from Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, India. He is the member of CAD/CAM and Machine Design group and has taught various subjects in the area Machine Design and CAD/CAM at UG and PG levels. He has more than 16 years of experience in teaching, research and industry. His focus research includes multiscale modeling of materials, mechanics of composite materials and structures, finite element methods, coupled multidisciplinary systems, ballistic impact, heat and mass transfer.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from TIET Patiala, 2015
- M.E. in CAD/CAM & Robotics from TIET Patiala, 2003
- B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering from PTU Jalandhar, 2001
Experience: (Total: 16+ years)
- April 2018- April 2019: Postdoctoral fellow/Adjunct faculty at Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, Virginia Tech. (USA)
- June 2016- Present: Assistant Professor, TIET Patiala
- July 2012-May 2016: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, LPU Jalandhar.
- August 2010-July 2012: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Chandigarh University, Mohali.
- June 2004-August 2010: Senior design analyst, Tata Consultancy Services Limited (New Delhi-04 years, New York-02 years).
- Aug 2002-December 2003: Lecturer (ad-hoc), Mechanical Engineering, Malout Institute of Management and Information Technology, Malout (Pb.)
- Machine Design
- Finite element analysis
- Solid Mechanics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Mechanics of Composite Materials
- Transport properties, Heat and Mass Transfer
- Coupled Multidisciplinary Systems
- Finite element simulations and analysis
- Statistical Mechanics
- Ballistic Impact
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee, Hannah Porter, Joshua Blake. Enhanced thermal resistance of rammed earth blocks with recycled industry by-products. International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 2019;138:447-458. [SCI Impact Factor 3.95].
- Deepak Jain, Ishita Kamboj, TK bera, Amardeep S Kang, Rohit Kumar Singla. Experimental and numerical investigations on the effect of alkaline hornification on the hydrothermal ageing of Agave natural fiber composites. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2019;130:431-439. [SCI Impact Factor 3.9].
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee, Tarun Kumar Bera. A novel characterization method of Fibre Reinforced Polymers with Clustered Microstructures for time dependent mass transfer. Science and Engineering of composite materials, 2017;25(5):103-1014. [SCI Impact Factor 0.62].
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee. Three-Dimensional Hygromechanical analysis of fibre polymer composites: Effect of Boundary Conditions. Composites Part B: Engineering 2016;90:203-211. [SCI Impact Factor 4.92].
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee, Naveen Kwatra. Numerical Modelling of Moisture Diffusion in FRP with Clustered Microstructures. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 2016;40(3):1873-1886. [SCI Impact Factor 2.6].
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee, Naveen Kwatra. Effect of Fibre Topology on Hygro-Mechanical Response of Polymer Matrix Composites. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2015;86:787-795. [SCI Impact Factor 3.9].
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee, Naveen Kwatra. Topological Disorder of Microstructure in Fibre-Reinforced Polymer Composites: Diffusion Response. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 2015;34(1):49-59. [SCI Impact Factor 1.47].
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee, Naveen Kwatra. Local Micromechanics of Moisture Diffusion in Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2014;76:199-209. [SCI Impact Factor 3.9].
- Amardeep S. Kang, Jasmnaninder S Grewal, Deepak Jain. Kang S. Wear Behavior of Thermal Spray Coatings on Rotavator Blades, Journal of Thermal Spray Technology, 2012;21(2): 355-359. [SCI Impact Factor 1.95].
Scopus index publications/conference proceedings and book chapters
- Satnam Singh, Rohit Kumar Singla, Deepak Jain. Numerical Investigations of Ellipsoid Shaped Filler on Heat Transport Behavior of Reinforced Polymer Composites. Book: Advances in Engineering Research and Application, 2019. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-04792-4_53
- Deepak Jain, Sandeep Vats, Tarun K Bera. Micromechanical interactions and their relation to stress field for different classes of reinforced polymer composites. Materials today: proceedings, 2018:5(9):19944-19953. DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2018.06.360
- Deepak Jain, Sandeep Vats, Tarun K Bera. Moisture Diffusion along the Layered Fibre Matrix Composites with Different Fibre Orientations. Materials today: proceedings, 2018;5(9):19963-19968. DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2018.06.362
- Saurabh Saini, Deepak Jain. The effect of healing time on the self-healing efficiency of carbon fibre reinforced polymer composites. Materials Today: Proceedings, 2017;4(2):2903-2909. DOI: 10.1016/j.matpr.2017.02.171
- Deepak Jain, Ram Kumar. Fuzzy C-Means vs. Hierarchical clustering as data mining techniques for clustering of GFRP’s. Wilkes - International Conference on Computing Sciences (ICCS) (Proceedings in Elsevier) 2014. ISBN: 978-93-5107-172-3, pp 144-149.
- Ram Kumar, Deepak Jain. Tribological properties of different micro abrasives in friction materials. Proceedings of the International Conference on Research and Innovations in Mechanical Engineering (Proceedings in Springer) 2014. ISBN 978-81-322-1858-6, pp 347-352.
- Deepak Jain, Amardeep S Kang. Tensile load simulation and validation for glass fiber reinforced polymer composites, International Journal of Computer Aided Engineering and Technology, 2013;5(4):291–299.
Paper in national conferences
- Deepak Jain, Abhijit Mukherjee. Stresses in FRP Composites due to Moisture Diffusion. Sixth International conference on Theoretical, Applied, Computational and Experimental Mechanics (ICTACEM 2014). Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (Dec. 29-31, 2014) DOI: 10.13140/2.1.1870.8805
- Deepak Jain, Amardeep S Kang, GS Cheema. Effect of Biocompatible Coatings on the Wear Characteristics of AISI 304L Steel used for Bio-implants. ISTE Sponsored 7th National conference of innovative developments in engineering (IDEA, 13-14 Apr. 2012), Sangrur, India.
- Deepak Jain, Amardeep S Kang, Vivek Sharma. Moisture diffusion simulation of polymer composites with different fibre matrix arrangements. Advancements in Mechanical Engineering and Energy Environment (AMEEE, 6-7 Jan. 2012), Longowal, India.
Sponsored research projects
- Project title: “Design and analysis of fiber matrix topological configurations for durability of reinforced polymer composites under submerged environments” Funded by: TIET Patiala Amount: 4.75 Lacs. Year: 2017-2019
- Project title: “Self-healing analysis of carbon fiber reinforced polymer composites” Funded by: LPU Jalandhar Amount: 1.05 Lacs. Year: 2013-2014
- M.E. – 10 (Completed)
- Ph.D. – 01 (Ongoing)
- Department information, annual report, and newscaster related activities
- Project semester coordinator
- Student counsellor
- Head of the CAD/CAM domain at LPU Jalandhar
- Curriculum design of various subjects in CAD/CAM and Machine Design domains at LPU, Jalandhar
Selected professional works, awards and recognitions
- Biographical profile is selected for inclusion in the new Marquis Who's Who of the World 2016 (33rd Edition).
- Selected for faculty fellowship at summer research internship program (SRIP-2013) at Indian Institute of Technology, IIT Gandhinagar, (India) during May-Jul 2013.
- Distinguished Service Award from TATA Consultancy Services (TCS) Ltd., New Delhi, 2009
- Reviewer of several international journals: Polymer composites (Wiley), Journal of reinforced plastics and composites (SAGE), Science and Engineering of Composite Materials (De Gruyter), Institution of Engineers, India (Series C) etc.