CAD/CAM & Robotics
Developments of Algorithms for multipoint tool positioning for five-axis CNC machining, sculptured surface machining, Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing, Computer Aided Engineering, CNC Machine Tool Design, Robotics and Mechatronics, Journal Bearing Design, Non-Newtonian Lubrication.
Dr. Ravinder Kumar Duvedi is an Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering Department of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala since July 2004. He received B.Tech. in Production Engineering from Punjab Technical University, Punjab, India in 2001. He received M.E. (with Distinction) in CAD CAM & Robotics Engineering in 2004 and Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering in 2016, both from Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, India. He is the member of CAD CAM and Mechatronics group and has taught various subjects in the area CAD-CAM, Mechatronics, Robotics at UG and PG levels.
His focus research interests include development of toolpath planning algorithms for efficient five-axis machining of sculptured surfaces. His other recent research work also include automation of ornamental 3D designs using customized web based CAD applications, development of PC based CNC machining systems for ornamental carving for Indian handicraft works, FEM modelling for non-Newtonian Lubrication of Journal Bearing, CNC machine tools design, Mechatronics and Robotics.
He has developed state of art Automobile Lab, State Initiated Design Center for Ornamental Carvings and Computer Aided Manufacturing Lab at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala. He has coordinated several techno-social activities and short term courses for the technological upgrading of unskilled and skilled aspirants in the area of Computer Aided Manufacturing.
||Sponsoring Agency and duration
||Amount and responsibility (PI/CoPI)
||“Development of prototype of Flat Bed 3-axis PC controlled vertical NC milling machine for sculptured surface machining for ornamental wood carving”
||DSIR, Govt. of India
30th September, 2011 to October 2012
|Rs 2.10 Lacs
(U.S. $ 3500/-)
||State Initiated Design Centre for Ornamental Wood Carving (SIDC)
||Ministry of Textile, Govt. of India
March 2008-July 2010
|Rs 97.50 Lacs
(U.S. $ 203125/-)
Dr Ajay Batish)
|Completed in July 2010
|DST, Govt. of India
|Rs 86 Lacs
(U.S. $ 132310/-)
Dr Ajay Batish)
||Govt. of India
|Rs 125 Lacs
(U.S. $ 192310/-)
Representative of Mechanical Engineering Department for Project proposal preparation and execution.
||MODROB Project for development of Automobile Engineering Lab.
April 2006 to March 2008
|Rs 10.00 Lacs
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
Life member of Tribology Society of India.
Publications and other Research Outputs
- SCI Papers : 07
- Non-SCI : 03
- SCI: 07
- Non-SCI: 03
- International Conference Papers : 02
- National Conference Papers : 05
- Course Materials/ Monographs : 02
- ME Thesis Guided : 35
- Indian Patents Applied : 02
SCI Journals Publications
- 1. Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “Drop and Tilt Method of 5Axis Tool Positioning for Tensor Product Surfaces”, Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer-Verlag London, Accepted and published online on 9th May 2017, Impact factor: 2.209, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0548-y
- 2. Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Ajay Batish, Stephen Mann, “The Edge-Torus Tangency Problem in Multipoint Machining of Triangulated Surface Models”, Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer-Verlag London, vol. 82(9), pp. 1959-1972, February 2016, Impact factor: 2.209, DOI 10.1007/s00170-015-7532-1
- 3. Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Ajay Batish, Stephen Mann, “Numeric Implementation of Drop and Tilt Method of 5-Axis Tool Positioning for Machining of STL surfaces”, Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (IJAMT), Springer-Verlag London, vol. 78(9), pp. 1677-1690, June 2015, Impact factor: 2.209, DOI 10.1007/s00170-014-6636-3
- 4. Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Ajay Batish, Stephen Mann, “A multipoint method for 5-axis machining of triangulated surface models”, Computer-Aided Design, Elsevier, vol. 52, pp. 17-26, July 2014, Impact factor: 2.444, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cad.2014.02.008
- 5. Praveen Kumar, Ajay Batish, Anirban Bhattacharya, R K Duvedi, “Effect of Process Parameters on Microhardness and Microstructure of Heat Affected Zone in Submerged Arc Welding”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Print ISSN: 0954-4054, Online ISSN: 2041-2975, vol. 225: 711, pp. 711-721, May 2011 Impact Factor: 0.281, DOI: 10.1243/09544054JEM2143
- 6. R. K. Duvedi, Manpreet Singh, V. K. Jadon, “FEM Analysis for Different Configurations of Non-Recessed Hole-Entry Hybrid Journal Bearing for Non-Newtonian Lubricants”, Journal of Industrial Lubrication and Tribology, Emerald, U.K, ISSN: 0036-8792, vol. 59(6), pp. 266-277, October 2007, Impact factor: 0.316, DOI: 10.1108/00368790710820865
- 7. R. K. Duvedi, H.C. Garg, V. K. Jadon, “Analysis of Hybrid Journal Bearings for non-Newtonian Lubricants”, Journal of Lubrication Science, Wiley Inter Science, ISSN: 1557-6833, vol. 18. issue 3, pp. 187-207, July/September 2006, Impact Factor: 1.019, DOI: 10.1002/ls.17
Non-SCI Journals Publications
- 1. R K Duvedi, Rajiv, Sohan Lal, “CNC Machining of Reverse Engineered Pseudo-symmetric Sculptured Surface Models” Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 9(36), September 2016, pp. 1-17, DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i36/101468
- 2. Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Ajay Batish, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “Scallop Height of 5-axis Machining of Large Triangles with a Flat End Mill”, Computer Aided Design and Applications, Taylor and Francis, London, UK, vol.12 (6), pp. 1-7, June 2015, DOI: 10.1080/16864360.2015.1033334
- 3. V. K. Jadon, Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, I.P.S. Ahuja, “Need to Re-orient the Mechanical Engineering Curriculum”, Journal of Indian Society of Technical Education, Kolkota, India, vol. 29(1), pp. 41-47, January 2006.
Awards and Honours
- 1. Postdoctoral Fellowship from University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, January-December 2017.
- 2. Innovative PhD Project Award 2016 by Indian National Academy for Engineers (INAE), 8th December, 2016.
- 3. A research project sponsored by DSIR on “development of prototype of flat-bed 3-axis PC controlled vertical milling machine for sculptured surface machining for ornamental wood carving” undertaken during 2011-12 selected as one of best five projects of year 2011-12 by ERDC Ambala TUC of TePP of DSIR in year 2015.
- 4. Canadian Common Wealth Fellowship 2010-11 for Graduate Research Project on 5-axis Machining in Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering Department, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada from 15th December 2010 to 15th July 2011.1. Postdoctoral Fellowship from University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, January-December 2017.
Description of Research Interests
The main highlights of the research work accomplished are:
- 1. Developed a methodology for 3-axis and 5-axis generalized tool positioning algorithm for machining of triangulated/STL surfaces and parametric tensor product. These developments has led to the evolution of a new multipoint tool positioning approach for 5-axis machining named as “Drop and Tilt Method”.
- 2. Development of a customized PC controlled 3-axis CNC router system for sculptured surface machining and ornamental carvings in wood. The developed CNC system included machine tool structure, hardware, PC-Machine interface software and toolpath software.
- 3. Algorithms/ macros for automation of ornamental 3D designs and toolpath planning using customized web based CAD applications.
- 4. Several projects for graduate students for development of inverse kinematics as well as mechanical design of multi-axis serial robotic arms.
- 5. Design and analysis of hybrid journal bearing for non-Newtonian lubrication using FEM.