Cloud Computing, Software Engineering, Big Data, Internet of Things and Fog Computing
Sukhpal Singh Gill joined Computer Science and Engineering Department of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, India, in 2016 as a Faculty. Dr. Gill obtained Doctoral Degree specialization in “Autonomic Cloud Computing” from Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology. He received Degree of Master of Engineering in Software Engineering from Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology and B.E. in Computer Science and Engineering. Presently, Dr. Gill is working as Post Doctorate Fellow at Cloud Computing and Distributed Systems (CLOUDS) Laboratory, School of Computing and Information Systems, The University of Melbourne, Australia. Dr. Gill received the Gold Medal in Master of Engineering in Software Engineering. Dr. Gill is a DST Inspire Fellow [2013-2016] and worked as a JRF-Professional (2013-2015) and SRF-Professional (2015-2016) on DST Project, Government of India. He has done certifications in Cloud Computing Fundamentals, including Introduction to Cloud Computing and Aneka Platform (US Patented) by ManjraSoft Pty Ltd, Australia and Certification of Rational Software Architect (RSA) by IBM India. Earlier, He worked as a Lecturer in Department of Computer Science & Engineering at North West Institute of Engineering and Technology, Moga (Punjab) for one year (2010-2011). His research interests include Software Engineering, Cloud Computing, Internet of Things and Fog Computing. Dr. Gill has 400+ Google Scholar Citations (h-index =13 and i10-index = 14) and total impact factor of SCI Papers is 20+. He has more than 35 research publications in reputed journals and conferences. He has taught 7 subjects of Computer Science (Software Engineering, Engineering Design Project, Computer Architecture, Operating System, Expert System, Information Technology and Java).
Project Title: QoS-aware Autonomic Resource Provisioning and Scheduling for Cloud Computing
Funding Agency: Department of Science and Technology
To design an intelligent cloud based and QoS-aware autonomic resource management approach which offers self-configuration of applications and resources, self-healing by handling sudden failures, self-protection against security attacks and self-optimization for maximum resource utilization to improve user satisfaction and increase reliability and availability of services.
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
- IEEE Active Member (IEEE Member Number: 92336881) [2012-2014]
- ACM Active Member (ACM Member Number: 5186038) [2012-2014]
- Member ISTE Student's Chapter [2008-2010]
Publications and other Research Outputs
International Journal (SCI Indexed)
- Sukhpal Singh Gill, Rajkumar Buyya, Inderveer Chana, Maninder Singh and Ajith Abraham, “BULLET: Particle Swarm Optimization based Scheduling Technique for Provisioned Cloud Resources”, Journal of Network and Systems Management, [Springer], 2017 [Impact Factor = 1.59]. https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10922-017-9419-y
- Sukhpal Singh Gill, Inderveer Chana, Maninder Singh and Rajkumar Buyya, “CHOPPER: An Intelligent QoS-aware Autonomic Resource Management Approach for Cloud Computing”, Cluster Computing, [Springer], 2017 [Impact Factor = 2.040]. https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10586-017-1040-z
- Sukhpal Singh Gill, Inderveer Chana and Rajkumar Buyya, “IoT based Agriculture as a Cloud and Big Data Service: The Beginning of Digital India”, Journal of Organizational and End User Computing (JOEUC), [IGI Global], vol. 29, no. 4, 2017 [Impact Factor = 0.759]. https://dx.doi.org/10.4018/JOEUC.2017100101
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “QoS-aware Autonomic Resource Management in Cloud Computing: A Systematic Review”, ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 48, no. 3, 46 pages, 2016, Article No. 42 [Impact Factor = 6.748] http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2843889
- Sukhpal, Singh, and Inderveer Chana and Maninder Singh, “The Journey of QoS based Autonomic Cloud Computing”, IT Professional Magazine, [IEEE] vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 42-49, 2017. [Impact Factor = 1.661].
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, Maninder Singh and Rajkumar Buyya, “SOCCER: Self-Optimization of Energy-efficient Cloud Resources”, Cluster Computing, [Springer], Volume 19, Issue 4, pp 1787â€“1800, 2016 [Impact Factor = 2.040]. https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10586-016-0623-4
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “Cloud Resource Provisioning: Survey, Status and Future Research Directions”, “Knowledge and Information Systems”, [Springer], vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 1005-1069, 2016 [Impact Factor = 2.004] http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10115-016-0922-3
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “A Survey on Resource Scheduling in Cloud Computing: Issues and Challenges”, “Journal of Grid Computing”, [Springer], vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 217-264, 2016. [Impact Factor = 2.766] http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10723-015-9359-2
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “Resource Provisioning and Scheduling in Clouds: QoS Perspective”, “The Journal of Supercomputing” [Springer], vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 926-960, 2016, [Impact Factor = 1.326] http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11227-016-1626-x
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “EARTH- Energy-aware Autonomic Resource Scheduling in Cloud Computing”, “Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems”, IOS Press, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1581-1600, 2016 [Impact Factor = 1.261]. http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/IFS-151866
- Sukhpal Singh, and Inderveer Chana, “Q-aware: Quality of Service based Cloud Resource Provisioning”, “Computers & Electrical Engineering”, [Elsevier], vol. 47, pp. 138-160, 2015 [Impact Factor = 1.570] http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2015.02.003
- Sukhpal Singh, and Inderveer Chana, “QRSF: QoS-aware resource scheduling framework in cloud computing”, “The Journal of Supercomputing”, [Springer], vol. 71, no. 1, pp: 241-292, 2015. [Impact Factor = 1.326] http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11227-014-1295-6
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana and Rajkumar Buyya, “STAR: SLA-aware Autonomic Management of Cloud Resources,” IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2017, DOI: 10.1109/TCC.2017.2648788.
- Inderpreet Singh, Karanvijay Singh and Sukhpal Singh, “Big Data Analytics based Recommender System for Value Added Services (VAS)”, In the proceeding of 6th International Conference on "Soft Computing for Problem Solving (SocProS 2016), 23-24 December, 2016, pp. 142-150, India.
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “Metrics based Workload Analysis Technique for IaaS Cloud”, In the proceeding of International Conference on Next Generation Computing and Communication Technologies. 23 - 24 April, 2014. Dubai, pp. 1-6.
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “QoS-aware Autonomic Cloud Computing for ICT”, In the proceeding of International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Sustainable Development (ICT4SD - 2015), Ahmedabad, India, 3 - 4 July, 2015, Springer International Publishing, 2015.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, Maninder Singh, “Z Language Based an Algorithm for Event Detection, Analysis and Classification in Machine Vision”, In the proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Human Computer Interactions (ICHCI'13), August 23-24, 2013, India.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, “Formal Specification Language Based Cloud Workload Regression Analysis”, In the proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Control, Computing, Communication and Materials-2013 (ICCCCM-2013), August 03-04, 2013. India.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, “Consistency Verification and Quality Assurance (CVQA) Traceability Framework for SaaS”, In the proceeding of 3rd IEEE International Advance Computing Conference (IACC-2013), February 22-23, 2013, India.
- Sukhpal Singh, “Reduction of Blocking Artifacts In JPEG Compressed Image”, In the proceeding of the National Level Technical Symposium on Emerging Trends in Technology (TECHNOVISION ’10), April 2010. India.
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “Quality of Service and Service Level Agreements for Cloud Environments: Issues and Challenges”, In Cloud Computing-Challenges, Limitations and R&D Solutions, pp. 51-72. Springer International Publishing, 2014.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana and Rajkumar Buyya, “Agri-Info: Cloud Based Autonomic System for Delivering Agriculture as a Service”, Technical Report CLOUDS-TR-2015-2, Cloud Computing and Distributed Systems Laboratory, The University of Melbourne, Nov. 27, 2015.
International Journal (Peer Reviewed)
- Inderpreet Singh, Sukhpal Singh, “Model for Targeting Customers Based on Analytics in Telecom Domain”, International Journal of Modern Education and Computer Science (IJMECS), Vol.8, No.11, pp.43-49, 2016.DOI: 10.5815/ijmecs.2016.11.06.
- Inderpreet Singh and Sukhpal Singh, “Framework for Targeting High Value Customers and Potential Churn Customers in Telecom using Big Data Analytics”, International Journal of Education and Management Engineering (IJEME), Vol.7, No.1, pp.36-45, 2017.DOI: 10.5815/ijeme.2017.01.04
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “QoS based Machine Learning Algorithms for Clustering of Cloud Workloads: A Review”, International Journal of Cloud-Computing and Super-Computing, vol. 3, no. 1 (06-2016) pp. 11-22.
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “QoS based Workload Design Patterns in Cloud Computing: A Literature Review” International Journal of Cloud-Computing and Super-Computing, vol. 2, no. 2 (12-2015) pp. 1-10.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, and Maninder Singh, “Research Methodology: A Practitioner Approach”, i-Manager's Journal on English Language Teaching, vol. 5, no. 4, (Oct-Dec 2015), pp: 27-38.
- Sukhpal Singh and Inderveer Chana, “Energy based Efficient Resource Scheduling: A Step Towards Green Computing.” International Journal of Energy, Information & Communications, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 35-52, 2014.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, “Advance Billing and Metering Architecture for Infrastructure as a Service”, International Journal of Cloud Computing and Services Science (IJ-CLOSER), Vol.2, No.2, April 2013, pp. 123~133, ISSN: 2089-3337.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, “Introducing Agility in Cloud Based Software Development through ASD”, International Journal of u- and e- Service, Science and Technology, Vol.6, No.5, 2013, pp.191-202, ISSN: 2005-4246.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, “Cloud Based Development Issues: A Methodical Analysis”, International Journal of Cloud Computing and Services Science (IJ-CLOSER), Vol.2, No.1, February 2013, pp. 291-302, ISSN: 2089-3337.
- Sukhpal Singh, Harinder Singh, “Case Study Based Software Engineering Project Development: State of Art”, International Journal of Scientific Research in Computer Science Applications and Management Studies, Vol. 2, No. 3, May 2013, pp.1-15.
- Sukhpal Singh, Rishideep Singh, “Earthquake Disaster based Efficient Resource Utilization Technique in IaaS Cloud”, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Engineering & Technology (IJARCET) Vol. 2, No. 6, 2013, pp. 1933-1938.
- Sukhpal Singh, “An algorithm for improving the quality of compacted JPEG image by minimizes the blocking artefacts”, International Journal of Computer Graphics and Animation, (IJCGA) Vol.2, No.2/3, July 2012, pp.17-35.
- Sukhpal Singh, Rishideep Singh, “Reusability Framework for Cloud Computing”, International Journal of Computational Engineering Research (ijceronline.com) Vol. 2 No. 6, ISSN 2250-3005(online), October 2012, pp. 169-177.
- Sukhpal Singh, Inderveer Chana, “Enabling Reusability in Agile Software Development”, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 50, No.13, July 2012, pp. 33-40.
- Selected Research Paper titled “A Survey on Resource Scheduling in Cloud Computing: Issues and Challenges” in [BEST of ACM COMPUTING - 2016]
- Selected as DST Inspire Fellow, 2014
- Received the University Gold Medal for achieving the highest CGPA in Master of Engineering in Software Engineering during 25th Convocation-2013.
- Qualified GATE - 2011 and 2013 Exams
Description of Research Interests
Dr. Sukhpal Singh Gill's research interests is in QoS-aware Autonomic Resource Provisioning and Scheduling for Cloud Computing and published research work in reputed journals of ACM, Springer, IEEE, Elsevier, IGI Global and IOS Press and prominent conferences of Cloud Computing. Recently, he has developed a “Cloud based Agriculture as a Service” under "Digital India Program" to deliver online service to farmers.