Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering
Tapas Karmaker is working as an Assistant Professor at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala. He was appointed to be a part of Civil Engineering faculty in the year 2011. Before joining Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, he was working with Tezpur University, a central university (Assam) in the capacity of Assistant Professor for one year. He earned his Doctorate degree from the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India in the year 2011, and his graduate degree is in Civil Engineering. His Ph.D work involved intensive fieldwork, laboratory scale and numerical modeling of river bank erosion. Other than teaching to undergraduate and postgraduate students, he holds Institute/ departmental level responsibilities. As a faculty in charge of survey laboratory, he is handling the issues related to purchase of the state of the art survey instruments. He was president of the student society "Yatharth" for two years. This society was responsible for organizing the inter-branch activities, workshops, seminars etc. Presently he is the member of the Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology Student Satellite Programme (THAPSAT).
River Bank erosion, River hydraulic and morphodynamics, Water quality modeling, Watershed management
One research projects has been submitted to national level funding agency within India, and is presently under review.
Memberships of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
Indian Society of Hydraulics
Publications and other Research Outputs
A. Publications (Journals)
- Tapas Karmaker and Ranjan Das (2017). "Riverbank soil erodibility parameters estimation using Genetic Algorithm". Sadhana, Academy Proceedings (Accepted for publication).
- Tapas Karamker, Hemanta Medhi, and Subashisa Dutta (2017). "Study of Channel instability in the Braided Brahmaputra River Using Satellite Imagery". Current Science , 112(7), 1533-1543.
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2016). "Prediction of short term morphological changes in a large braided river using 2-D numerical model". J. Hydraulic Engrg ASCE, 142(10), Citation: 3.
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2015). "Stochastic erosion of composite banks in alluvial river bends". Hydrological Processes. 29, 1324-1339. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.10266, Citation: 6
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2013). "Modeling seepage erosion and bank retreat in the composite riverbank". J. Hydrology. 476, 178-187. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.10.032, Citation: 13.
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2011). "Erodibility of fine soils from the composite bank of Bharmaputra river in India". Hydrological Processes. 25, 104-111. DOI: 10.1002/hyp.7826, Citation: 27
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2010). "Generation of synthetic flood hydrograph in a large river basin". J. Hydrology. 381(3-4), 287-296. DOI:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.12.001, Citation: 14
- Tapas Karmaker, Y. Ramaprasad and Subashisa Dutta (2010). "Sediment transport in an active erodible bend of Brahmaputra river". Shadhana, Academy Proceedings. 35(6), 693-706. DOI:10.1007/s12046-010-0052-7., Citation: 7.
- Subashisa Dutta, Hemanta Medhi, Tapas Karmaker, Yogesh Singh, Upasana, I. Prabu (2010). "Probabilistic flood hazards mapping for embankment breaching". ISH J. of Hydraulic Engrg. 1(SP1), 15-25. DOI: 10.1080/09715010.2010.10515012. Ciation: 1.
B. Publications (Conferences)
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2013). "Characterization of seepage erosion from alluvial river banks". International Symposium on River Sedimentation 2013, 2-5 September, Kyoto, Japan.
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2010). "Composite bank erosion modeling in a alluvial river bend". Proc. of River Flow 2010, IAHR International Conference, 8-10 September, Germany, pp 1315-1322.
- Tapas Karmaker and Subashisa Dutta (2009). "Predicting vulnerable bank erosion zones in a large river meander". Proc. of Water, Environment, Energy and Society (WEES)-2009, 12-16 January, New Delhi., pp 1670-1676.
- Subashisa Dutta, Hemanta Medhi, Tapas Karmaker, Yogesh Singh, Upasana, I. Prabu (2009). "Probabilistic flood hazards mapping for embankment breaching". Proc. of national conference HYDRO-2009. 17-18 Dec., pp 246-253.
- Chandrashekarayya G. Hiremath, Tapas Karmaker, Subashisa Dutta (2009). "Risk analysis of river bank protection structures in a large alluvial river bend". Proc. of national conference on Computer Aided Modelling and Simulation in Computational Mechanics (CAMSCM-2009). March 13-14, 2009, pp 231-238.
- Tapas Karmaker, Subashisa Dutta (2008). "Designing a submerged groyne field for Brahmaputra river reach using 2-D river model". Proc. Of national conference on Advances in Hydraulic Engineering with special emphasis on Model –Prototype Conformity (INCAHE-2008). Nov 6-7, 2008, pp 277-288.
Awards and Honours
MHRD - GATE scholarship
Tapas Karmaker is serving as a reviewer of following international journals:
- Soil Tillage and research (Elsevier publication)
- Hydrological Processes (Wiley)
- Hydrological Sciences Journal (Taylor and Francis)
- Water Resources Management (Springer)
- Arabian journal of geosciences (Springer)
- International Journal of Civil Engineering
- Inverse Problem in Science and Engineering
Description of Research Interests
Tapas Karmaker's research interests include Hydraulic and morphological modeling for predicting the dynamics of rivers, watershed management for simulating runoff. It is found that the rive dynamics can be described as a scale function. River responses globally with decadal changes in the parameters whereas the local problems are short term. The local morphological changes can be modeled with reasonable accuracy by using 2-d depth averaged hydraulic and sediment transport model with sufficient data. Tapas Karmaker is presently working on the effect of the secondary currents and multi-thread flow on formation of river bars.