Organic and Medicinal Chemistry
Dr. Paul's area of research is Synthetic Organic and Medicinal Chemistry where his research is broadly focused on multistep synthesis of heterocyclic molecules and their in vitro evaluation for anticancer activity.
- a) The purine, coumarin, thiazole, benzimdazole, triazine, naphthalimide and other heterocyclic ring systems are important structural templates in anticancer research. Our programmatic interest is the multistep synthesis of molecular hybridized compounds as biological active agents. The strategy of using a substituted biological active heterocyclic ring system linked to the purine, quinazoline, naphthalimide, triazine etc, is particularly attractive in that it is expected to provide a scope of preparing more non-bonded interactions with target site, and thus provides better activity towards cancer. The addition of the cyclic/heterocyclic moieties in the central ring also provides an opportunity for increasing potency and selectivity. We would like to develop a method that provide both diverse and highly targeted kinase libraries in a high throughput mode and also show activity towards human cancer cell lines.
- b) The development of highly efficient, easily accessible and environmental friendly method to construct carbon carbon and carbon hetero bonds formation is always an ultimate goal in organic synthesis. Metal catalyzed and metal mediate reactions have been well recognized as a powerful synthetic tool in organic synthesis. Our research is focused on developing new synthetic methodologies by using transition metal complexes. We would like to investigate metal catalyzed or metal mediate coupling, cyclization, addition or C-H activations particularly by using less toxic and less expensive metals
Education and Training
- Post-Doc with Prof. In Howa Jeong in Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Yonsei University, South Korea.
- PhD (Chemistry, 2006) in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- M.Sc. (2003), Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
- Associate Professor: 2015-present, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala-147004, India.
- Assistant Professor: 2010-2015, School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala-147004, India.
- Research Scientist: 2009-2010, Ranbaxy Research Laboratory (R&D), API, Gurgaon, India.
- Post-doc: 2008-2009, Departments of Chemistry and Medicinal Chemistry, Yonsei University, South Korea.
- Research Scientist: 2006-2008, Jubilant Chemsys Limited, Contract Research Organization (CRO), Noida, India.
- Ph.D. 2006, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, India.
- MSc Ist Year: PCY103 Organic Chemistry
- MSc Ist Year: PCY203 Stereochemistry and Photochemistry
- MSc Ist Year: PCY203 Organic Reaction Mechanism
- MSc 2nd Year: PCY303 Reagents and Retrosynthesis
- MSc 2nd Year: PCY 312 Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- MSc 2nd Year: PCY307 Polymer Chemistry
- MSc Ist lab
- BTech: UCB008 Applied Chemistry
- BTech: UCB002 Chemistry lab
List of Publications (SCI Journals)
- Richa Goel, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis of new triazole based imidazo[1,2-a]pyrazine-benzimidazole conjugates: H-bonding assisted FRET efficient ratiometric detection of pyrophosphate, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chemistry, 2017, 348, 102–109.
- Runjhun Tandon, Vijay Luxami, Harsovin Kaur, Nitin Tandon, and Kamaldeep Paul, 1,8-Naphthalimide: A potent DNA intercalator and target for cancer therapy, Chem. Rec. 2017, DOI: 10.1002/tcr.201600134
- Akul Sen Gupta, Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, A fluorescent probe with “AIE + ESIPT” characteristics for Cu2+ and F− ions estimation, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2017, 246, 653-661.
- Richa Goel, Sheryl Sharma, Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, Naphthalimide based chromofluorescent sensor and DNA intercalator: Triggered by Hg2+/HSO4− cleavage reaction, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2017, 246, 776-782.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep PaulâŽ Quinazolinone-benzimidazole conjugates: Synthesis, characterization, dihydrofolate reductase inhibition, DNA and protein binding properties, Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology, B: Biology, 2017, 168, 156-164.
- Akul SenGupta, Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, ESIPT coupled RAHBprobe for estimation of cyanide in human blood serum/plasma like solution using chemodosimetric approach, ChemistrySelect, 2017, 2, 800-804.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Raja Singh, Vibha Tandon, Kamaldeep Paul*, Novel pyrazolo[3,4-d]pyrimidine with 4-(1H-benzimidazol-2-yl)-phenylamine as broad spectrum anticancer agents: Synthesis, cell based assay, topoisomerase inhibitors, DNA intercalation and bovine serum albumin studies, Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2017, 126, 24-35.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of novel triazine analogues as anticancer agents and their interaction studies with bovine serum albumin, Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2016, 117, 59-69.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Triazine as a promising scaffold for its versatile biological behavior, Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2015, 102, 39-57.
- Richa Goel, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Imidazo[1,2-a]pyridines: promising drug candidate for antitumor therapy, Curr. Topics Med. Chem., 2016, 16(30), 3590-3616.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Triazine–benzimidazole conjugates: synthesis, spectroscopic and molecular modelling studies for interaction with calf thymus DNA, RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 14741.
- Richa Goel, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis of energy transfer cassettes via click and Suzuki–Miyaura cross coupling reactions, RSC Adv., 2016, 6, 37664.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Pyrrolo[2,3-b]pyridine derivatives: Synthesis and preliminary evaluation of their calf thymus DNA binding properties, ChemistrySelect, 2016, 1, 4772-4777.
- Richa Rani, Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, An NBD-based two-in-one Cu2+/Ni2+
- chemosensor with differential charge transfer processes, New J. Chem., 2016, 40, 2418.
- Richa Rani, Gulshan Kumar, Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, Thiazolidine based differential chromo-fluorescent sensor for Cu2+ and CN- ions: Elaboration as logic devices. J. Lumin., 2016, 180, 292–300.
- Akul Sen Gupta, Aparna Garg, Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, Differential sensing of fluoride and cyanide ions by using Dicyano substituted benzimidazole probe, J. Lumin., 2016, 173, 165–170.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami and Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis, in vitro antitumor activity, dihydrofolate reductase inhibition, DNA intercalation and structure–activity relationship studies of 1,3,5-triazine analogues, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2016, 26, 518–523.
- Akul Sen Gupta, Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, Benzimidazole based ratiometric chemosensor for detection of CN and Cu2+ ions in protic/aqueous system: Elaboration as XOR logic operation, Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2016, 443, 57–63.
- Ashiq Khan, Jerry P. Jasinski, Victoria A. Smoleaski, Kamaldeep Paul, Gurpinder Singh, Rekha Sharma, Synthesis, structure and cytotoxic evaluation of complexes of N1 substituted-isatin-3-thiosemicarbazone with copper (I) halides. Inorg. Chim. Acta, 2016, 449, 119–126.
- Alka Sharma, Vijay Luxami, Sanjai Saxena and Kamaldeep Paul*, Benzimidazole-Quinazolines: In vitro Evaluation, Quantitative Structure Activity Relationship and Molecular Modeling as Aurora Kinase Inhibitors, Arch. Pharm. Chem. Life Sci. 2016, 349, 193–201.
- Alka Sharma, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Csp2–O and C–C bond formation via Pd-catalyzed coupling reaction of 2,4-dichloroquinazoline, J. Het. Chem., 2016, 53, 241.
- Alka Sharma, Vijay Luxami and Kamaldeep Paul*, Purine-benzimidazole hybrids: Synthesis, single crystal determination and in vitro evaluation of antitumor activities, Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2015, 93, 414-422.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Triazine as a promising scaffold for its versatile biological behavior, Eur. J. Med. Chem., 2015, 93, 414-422.
- Richa Goel, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Recent advances in development of imidazo[1,2-a]pyrazines: synthesis, reactivity and their biological applications, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2015, 13, 3525-3555 (Inside Cover Picture).
- Richa Goel, Vijay Luxami and Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthetic approaches and functionalizations of imidazo[1,2-a]pyrimidines: an overview of the decade, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 81608.
- Meenakshi Verma, Vijay Luxami and Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis, in vitro evaluation and DNA interaction studies of N-allyl naphthalimide analogues as anticancer agents, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 41803.
- Richa Goel, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis, in vitro anticancer activity and SAR studies of arylated imidazo[1,2-a]pyrazine-coumarin hybrids, RSC Adv., 2015, 5, 37887-37895.
- Vijay Luxami, Richa Rani, Alka Sharma, Kamaldeep paul, Quinazoline-benzimidazole hybrid as optical sensor for Cyanide and Pb2+ ions and Aurora kinase inhibitor, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chemistry, 2015, 311, 68–75
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Triazine–benzimidazole hybrids: Anticancer activity, DNA interaction and dihydrofolate reductase inhibitors, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2015, 23, 1691–1700.
- Akul Sen Gupta Kamaldeep Paul, Vijay Luxami, Ratiometric fluorescent chemosensor for fluoride ion based on inhibition of excited state intramolecular proton transfer, Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Mol. Biomol. Spec., 2015, 67, 2015.
- Meenakshi Verma, Vijay Luxami and Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis of new 2,3-disubstituted pyridines containing 1,2,3-triazole in the side-chain via one-pot copper-catalyzed azide-alkyne cycloaddition, ARKIVOC 2015 (vii) 28-41
- Vijay Luxami, Akul Sen Gupta, Kamaldeep Paul, Dansyl-antipyrine dyad as fluorescent sensor for Cu2+ and F-: Sequential XNOR logic operation, New J. Chem., 2014, 38, 2841
- Richa Goel, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Palladium catalyzed novel monoarylation and symmetrical/unsymmetrical diarylation of imidazo[1,2-a]pyrazines and their in vitro anticancer activities, RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 9885-9892.
- Prinka Singla, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Benzimidazole-biologically attractive scaffold for protein kinase inhibitors, RSC Adv., 2014, 4, 12422-12440
- Kamaldeep Paul*, Alka Sharma, Vijay Luxami, Synthesis, in vitro antitumor evaluation and molecular modeling of primary amine substituted quinazoline linked benzimidazole, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2014, 24(2), 624-629.
- Meenakshi Verma, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis, in vitro evaluation and molecular modeling of naphthalimide analogues as anticancer agents, Eur. J. Med. Chem., 2013, 68, 352-360
- Alka Sharma, Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul*, Synthesis, single crystal and antitumor activities of benzimidazole- quinazoline hybrids, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2013, 3(11), 3288-3294.
- Kamaldeep Paul*, Shweta Bindal, Vijay Luxami, Synthesis of new conjugated coumarin-benzimidazole hybrids and their anticancer activity, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2013, 23(12), 3667-3672.
- Vijay Luxami, Kamaldeep Paul, In Howa Jeong , Pyrophosphate selective fluorescent probe and molecular flip flop, Dalton Trans., 2013, 42, 3783-3786
- Vijay Luxami, Renukamal, Kamaldeep Paul, Subodh Kumar, A dual-responsive chromo-fluorescent probe for detection of Zn2+ and Fe3+ via two different spproaches, RSC Adv., 2013, 3, 9189-9192.
- Vijay Luxami, Meenakshi Verma, Richa Rani, Kamaldeep Paul, Subodh Kumar, FRET
- based ratiometric detection of Hg2+ and biothiols using naphthalimide-rhodamine dyads, Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, 8076-8081.
- Ji Hoon Choi, Kamaldeep Paul, Yeon Hui jung, In Howa Jeon. Cross-coupling reaction of β-β-difluoro-a-phenylvinylstannane with alkenyl iodides: novel approach to 2-phenyl-1,1-difluoro-1,3-butadiene, Bull. Korean Chem. Soc., 2010, 31(1), 25-26.
- Kamaldeep Paul, Ji Hye Hwang, Ji Hoon Choi, In Howa Jeong. Synthesis of 2-floro-3-phenylthio-1,3-butadiene and 2-trifluoromethyl-3-phenythio-1,3-butadiene and their reactivity, Org. Lett., 2009, 11(20), 4728.
- Palwinder Singh, Jatinder Kaur, Kamaldeep Paul, Reactions of 5-benzoyl-/5-carbaldehyde-/5-(3-phenyl-acryloyl)-6-hydroxy-1H-pyrimidin-2,4-diones with amines: anti-cancer and metal sequestering properties, Ind. J. Chem., Sect. B, 2008, 47B (2), 291-296.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, Wolfgang Holzer, Synthesis of pyrazole based hybrid molecules: Search for potent multidrug resistance modulators, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2006, 14, 5061.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, Studies of interaction between uracil-based hybrid molecules and P-glycoprotein-Search for multidrug resistance modulators, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2006, 14, 7183.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, Anti-cancer activities of 5-acyl-6-[2-hydroxy/benzyloxy-3-(amino)-propylamino]-1,3-dialkyl-1H-pyrimidin-2,4-diones, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2006, 14, 8622.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, A practical approach for spiro- and 5-monoalkylated barbituric acids, J. Het. Chem., 2006, 43, 603-612.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, A simple synthesis of 5-spirobarbituric acids and transformations of spirocyclo propane barbiturates to 5-substituted barbiturates, Ind. J. Chem., Sect. B, 2006, 45B, 247.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, Wolfgang Holzer. Synthesis of 5-acyl-6-[2-hydroxy-3-(amino)-propylamino]-1,3-dialkyl-1H-pyrimidine-2,4-diones, Org. Biomol. Chem. 2005, 3 (21), 3958.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, A facile synthesis of 5-acylbarbituric acids under microwave irradiations Ind. J. Chem., Sect. B, 2005, 44B, 1105-1108.
- Palwinder Singh, Kamaldeep Paul, Multidrug Resistance: An obstacle to the successful chemotherapy of cancer- its mechanism and remedies via MDR modulators, Nat. Acad. Sci. Lett., 2005, 28 (11-12), 365-372.
Conferences and Workshops
- 15th tetrahedron conference-Asian Edition: Challenges in Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, Singapore EXPO, Singapore, Oct 28-31, 2014.
- Latest Development in the Emerging Green Technology Based on the Application of Microwave Energy to Material Processing, PTU, Jalandhar, Aug. 20-22, 2012.
- National Conference on recent advances in chemical & environmental sciences, Modi College, Patiala, March 3, 2012.
- 4th NIPER (RBL)-CDRI symposium on Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, CDRI, Lucknow, Feb, 23-25, 2012.
- The 101 st National Meeting of the Korean Chemical Society, Kintex, South Korea, April, 21-23, 2008.
- A National Symposium on New Challenges of Chemistry, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, March 20-21, 2006.
- A National School on New Dimension to NMR: From Molecules to Human Behavior, NEHU, Shilong, Meghalaya, May 23-June 3, 2005.
- IUPAC International Conference on Biodiversity and Natural Products: Chemistry and Medical Applications, New Delhi, January 26-31, 2004.
- National Workshop on Curriculum Development in Natural Products at Postgraduate Level, NIPER, S.A.S. Nagar, Punjab, November 25-27, 2003.
- National Bioorganic Symposium – 7, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, November 9-10, 2001.
- National Conference on Recent Advances in Thermodynamics of Chemical and Biological Systems, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, May 7-9, 2001
Organized “National Conference on Innovative Molecules for Sustainable Future NCIMSF-2013” held during 24-26 October, 2013.
- BK21 postdoc Fellowship (2008-2009), Yonsei University, South Korea.
- Junior Research Fellowship (2002-2005) awarded by CSIR (JRF-NET), India.
- Qualified in NET June 2001 and December 2001
Sponsored Research Projects
List of Ongoing Projects
- Synthesis of fused heteroaromatic derivatives through molecular hybridization technique and their in vitro evaluations as anticancer agents, DST, 2015
- Ruthenium Catalyzed C–H Bond Activation Strategy for C–C and C–X Bond Formation for Biological Active Compounds
List of completed sponsored projects
- Coupling of substituted quinazoline/xanthine and purine/ pyrimidine/benzimidazole: A novel scaffold for Kinase inhibitors, UGC, 2012.
- Heterocyclic substituted quinazoline and pyrazolo[3,4-d]pyrimidine derivatives: novel scaffold for Aurora Kinase inhibitors, CSIR, 2012.
- Novel Scaffolds of P-glycoprotein modulators to overcome multidrug resistance in cancer cells, DST, 2011.
- Hybrids of substituted benzimidazole and quinazoline analogous as anti-tuberculosis and anti-malarial activities, CSIR-OSDD, 2012.
- Encapsulation of multidrug resistance (MDR) modulators and anticancer drugs on carbon nanotubes for tumor-targeted drug delivery, TIET, 2010.