Solid Mechanics, Elasticity, Seismology
Contact No.: +91-9780493782
Satish Kumar sharma is Associate Professor of Mathematics, at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala. He did his doctorate from NIT Hamirpur. He joined Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology in 2010 as assistant professor. His area of research is applied mathematic. He has guided 3 Ph.D. students and has experience of about 20 years of teaching in engineering institutions.
STUDY OF SURFACE AND LAMB TYPE WAVE PROPAGATION IN THE CONTEXT OF SIZE DEPENDENT PIEZOELECTRICITY
Piezoelectric actuators and sensors have been widely used in damage detection of various structures including beams, plates and pipes due to their unique sensing and actuating properties. Researchers have also shown that closed-form solutions accounting for the electro-mechanical coupling of piezoelectric plates, laminates or patches are difficult to obtain especially for complicated boundary conditions. In this project analytical expression for the dispersion equation guiding the surface waves and Lamb will be obtained and the effects of various parameters like internal length scale parameter, dielectric strength on the phase velocity will be examined. Obtained results will be useful for the persons/industries involved in the similar kind of experimental studies.
Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB)
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations,Societies
- Member BOS , GNE Ludhiana
List of Publications
List of research publications in SCI ( SCIE )/ Impact Factor >journals
- J.N. Sharma S.Kumar and Y.D. Sharma (2008) Propagation of Rayleigh Surface Waves in Microstretch Thermoelastic Continua Under Inviscid Fluid Loadings. (Journal of Thermal Stresses 31: 1, 18 — 39
- J. N. Sharma, S. Kumar, (2009) Lamb waves in >micropolar thermoelastic solid plates immersed in liquid with varying temperature. Meccanica. >44: 305–319 S. Kumar, J. N. Sharma, and Y. D. >Sharma, (2011) Generalized thermoelastic >waves in microstrech plates loaded with fluid of >varying temperature. International Journal of >Applied Mechanics. 3: 563–586
- A. Verma, R. Jiwari S. Kumar, (2014) A >numerical scheme based on differential >quadrature method for numerical simulation of >nonlinear Klein-Gordon equation, International >Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid >Flow. 24 (7): 1390-1404
- V. Sharma, S. Kumar, (2014) Velocity >dispersion in an elastic plate with >microstructure: >effects of characteristic length in a couple stress >model. Meccanica. 49: 1083–1090
- T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, (2015) Shear >wave propagation in vertically heterogeneous >viscoelastic layer over a micropolar elastic half- >space, Mechanics of >Advanced Materials and Structures (Taylor & >Francis) DOI: 10.1080/15376494.2015.1124948
- V. Sharma, S. Kumar, (2015) Effects of liquid >loadings on Lamb waves in context of suze >dependent couple stress theory. Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. 53 (4): 925-934
- V. Sharma, S. Kumar, (2016) Influence of microstructure, heterogeneity and internal >friction on SH waves propagation in a
viscoelastic layer overlying a couple stress >substrate Structural Engineering and >Mechanics 57(4): 703-716
- T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, (2016) Dynamic response of moving load on a micropolar half-space with irregularity, Applied Mathematical Modelling (Elsevier) 40 (5-6):3535-3549.
- T. Kaur, A. K. Singh, A. Chattopadhyay & S.Kumar, (2016) Dynamic response of normal moving load on an irregular fiber-reinforced half-space, Journal of Vibration and Control 22 (1): 77-88.
- T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, (2016)Effect of reinforcement, gravity and liquid loading on Rayleigh-type wave propagation Meccanica,51, 2449-2458
- T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, (2016). Influence of imperfectly bonded micropolar elastic halfspace with nonhomogeneous viscoelastic layer on propagation behavior of shear wave. Waves in Random and Complex Media 26, 650-670.
- T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, (2016) Moving load response on the stresses produced in an irregular microstretch substrate. Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 60, 175-191.
- V. Sharma, S. Kumar, (2017) DISPERSION OF SH WAVES IN A VISCOELASTIC LAYER IMPERFECTLY BONDED WITH A COUPLE STRESS SUBSTRATE. JOURNAL OF THEORETICAL AND APPLIED MECHANICS, 55, 535-546.
- T. Kaur, S. Kumar & A. K. Singh, (2017)Shear wave propagation in vertically heterogeneous viscoelastic layer over a micropolar elastic halfspace, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures , 24, 149-156.
- V. Sharma, S. Kumar, (2017) Effects of microstructure and liquid loading on velocity dispersion of leaky Rayleigh waves at liquid-solid interface, Canadian Journal of Physics, > https://doi.org/10.1139/cjp-2016- 0343
- J. N. Sharma, S. Kumar, Y. D. Sharma, (2009) Effect of micropolarity, microstretch and relaxation times on Rayleigh surface waves in thermoelastic solids. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics. 5: 17-38 (Non SCI Journal).
- S. Kumar, (2013) Rayleigh type surface waves in a microstrech thermoelastic solid cylinder. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics. 9(11): 87 – 106 (Non SCI Journal).
Deion of Research Interests
Satish kumar sharma’s research intrestes are in wave propagation in elastic solids, size dependent elasticity. He has been awarded research project from DST. He has guided 3 Ph.D. students and 6 M.Sc. students.