PSE004 SOFTWARE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Project Planning: Characteristics of a software project, Software scope and feasibility, resources, the SPM plan.
Software Project Estimation: Size/scope estimation, Decomposition techniques, WBS.
Effort estimation: Sizing, Function point, LOC, FP vs LOC.
Schedule estimation: GANTT Charts, Activity networks, PERT/CPM networks.
Cost estimation: COCOMO I, COCOMO II models.
Quality Planning: Quality control, Quality assurance, Formal Technical Reviews, The SQA Plan, ISO and CMM standards.
Risk Management: Reactive vs. proactive Risk strategies, Risk projection, Risk Refinement, Risk Monitoring, Monitoring and management, RMMM plan.
Measurement and Tracking Planning: Earned Value Analysis.
Team Management: Team structures: hierarchical, Egoless, chief programmer, mixed; Team software Process; Resource leveling, Building a team: Skill sets.
Configuration Management: Baselines, Configurable items, SCM repository, SCM process, version control change control, configuration audit.
Project Monitoring and Control: Audits and Reviews.
Implementation of software project management concepts using tools like MS Project, Rational Suite (RequisitePro, Purify, etc.), Advanced Cost Estimation Models.
1. Pankaj Jalote, Software Project Management in Practice, Pearson Education Asia (2002).
2. Bob Hughes and Mike Cotterell, Software Project Management, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Ltd., New Delhi (2006) 3rd ed.
3. Roger Pressman, A practitioner’s Guide to Software Engineering, Tata McGraw Hill (2004).
4. Tom Demarco, Controlling Software Project Management, Measurement, Prentice Hall, New Jersey (1982).
5. Watts S. Humphrey, Winning with Software An Executive Strategy, Pearson Education Asia (1998).
6. Philip Metzger, Managing A Programming Project, Prentice Hall, New Jersey (1983).
7. Tom Glib, Finzi Susannah, Principles of Software Engineering Management, Addison Wesley, England (2000).