Bioprocess Engineering, Nanobiotechnology
PhD (Nanotechnology),Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT-Bombay), Mumbai, India. 2014
Thesis title: “Immobilized Silver Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization and Enhanced Bactericidal Action”
M.Tech. (Biochemical Engg.), Indian Institute of Technology- Banaras Hindu University, (IIT-BHU), Varanasi, 2008 (first class with honours)
Thesis title:“Protein Immobilization on Novel Hydrophilic Nanofibrous Scaffold for Tissue Engineering Applications” (Research work jointly at IIT-BHU and IIT-Kanpur)
M.Sc. (Biochemistry), C.S.J.M. University, Kanpur, 2006
- Surface modification/functionalization of polymeric blends/composites, silica, ZnO based hybrid materials for antimicrobial, biosensing, and biopesticide delivery applications
- Development of antimicrobial biomaterials for tissue engineering and drug delivery applications
- Carbon nanotubes (CNT) based nanocomposites, Electrospun nanofibers
- Nanoparticles (Silver and Gold) for diagnostic and therapeutic applications
- Toxicological implications of engineered nanomaterials on mammalian cell lines and stem cells
- 1.Agnihotri S., Bajaj G., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. (2015) Arginine assisted immobilization of silver nanoparticles on ZnO nanorods: An enhanced and reusable antibacterial substrate without human cell cytotoxicity, Nanoscale, 7, 7415-7429. (SCI Impact factor 6.8)
- 2. Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. (2014) Size-controlled silver nanoparticles synthesized over the range 5-100 nm using the same protocol and their antibacterial efficacy, RSC Advances, 4, 3974–3983. (SCI Impact factor 3.7, Listed among the Top 10 hottest articles of the journal) .
- 3. Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. (2013) Immobilized silver nanoparticles enhance contact killing and show highest eï¬ƒcacy: Elucidation of the mechanism of bactericidal action of silver, Nanoscale, 5(16), 7328-7340.(SCI Impact factor 6.8, Among the Top 10 most read articles of journal, Q3)
- 4. Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. (2012) Antimicrobial chitosan-PVA hydrogel as a nanoreactor and immobilization matrix for silver nanoparticles, Applied Nanoscience, 2(3), 179-188.
Book Chapter Contribution
- 1. Mukherji S., Ruparelia J., and Agnihotri S. (2012) Antimicrobial activity of silver and copper nanoparticles: Variation in sensitivity across various strains of bacteria and fungi. Nano-Antimicrobials: Progress and Prospects, Eds. N. Cioffi and M. Rai, Springer Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 225-251. (ISBN No. 978-3-642-24427-8)
List of Conferences
- 1.Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. “Comparison of amine and thiol functionalized glass wool fibres for silver nanoparticle immobilization: Characterization, bactericidal efficacy and potential risk”. International Conference on Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT-2014), Chandigarh, India during March 02-05, 2014.
- 2. Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. “Antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles immobilized on a surface-functionalized SU-8 polymer”. Third International Conference on Multifunctional, Hybrid and Nanomaterials, Sorrento, Near Naples, Italy during March 03-07, 2013
- 3. Mukherji S., Agnihotri S., and Mukherji S. Development of nanoparticle based systems for disinfection of water. DST sponsored Trilateral MRS Workshop (India-China-Singapore) during Nov 19-21, 2012 at IIT-Bombay(Invited Talk)
- 4. Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. Hybrid nanosilver based Chitosan-PVA hydrogels: synthesis, characterization and antibacterial studies. In House Meet of Nanotechnology and Science (IMNANO-12) held at CRNTS, IIT-Bombay on Sep 01, 2012.
- 5. Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticle containing glass fibers for antimicrobial applications. International Conference on Nanoscience and Technology (ICONSAT-2012), Hyderabad, India during January 21-24, 2012.
- 6. Agnihotri S., Mukherji S., and Mukherji S. Evaluation of Chitosan-PVA hydrogel as a nanoreactor and an immobilization matrix for silver nanoparticles International Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology (ICANN-2011), IIT-Guwahati, India during 08-11 December 2011. (Best Poster)
- 7. Agnihotri S., Vasita R., and Katti D.S. Engineering human tissue: Synthesis of a novel hydrophilic nanofibrous scaffold. National Young Researchers’ Conference-2008 held at UICT, Mumbai. (Best Oral)
- 8. Agnihotri S., Srivastava N. Regulation of interleukin production in alveolar inflammation. National Conference on Immunology in Health and Disease held at C.S.J.M. Kanpur Univ. on Jan 2006.
Expertise in Handling Sophisticated Instruments
- 1.Expertise in operating Field Emission Gun-Scanning Electron Microscopy (FEG-SEM) along with samples analysis coming from many disciplines, i.e., material science, ceramic, biological & environmental science, chemistry, & physics.
- 2.Proficient in cross-sectional analysis of ceramic samples and multilayered silica nanostructures. Special expertise in pre-treatment procedures required for preparing biological/environmental samples like microbial/mammalian cells, cell lines, bacterial biofilms, and wastewater sludge
- 3.Expert user of handling, maintenance and sample analysis of Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) and Zeta Potential Analyzer
- 4.Electrospinning apparatus for generating polymeric nanofibers and nanoparticles.
- 1.Synthesis, characterization and analysis of inorganic nanoparticles, thin films and hydrogels.
- 2.Chemical modifications of various silica based nanomaterials.
- 3.Various immobilizing protocols to deposit inorganic nanoparticles on a surface.
- 4.Synthesis of polyelectrolyte multilayer (PEMs) assemblies on a solid substrate.
- 5.Surface modifications of polymeric materials: Photo-oxidations, Graft polymerizations.
- 6.Chemical synthesis of biodegradable polymers like PLA-PEG, PEG, PLGA.
- 7.Synthesis of electrospun nanofibers, as a scaffold matrix for biomacromolecules immobilizations.
- 8.Fundamental understandings and skills to design new carriers for drug delivery applications.
- 1.Various microscopic studies, i.e., FEG-SEM, FEG-TEM, and AFM.
- 2.Various spectroscopic studies, i.e., UV-Vis, FTIR, Laser Raman, and XPS,
- 3.Electrospinning apparatus: For making polymeric nanofibres &/or nanoparticles.
- 4.Zeta Potential analyzer, Mercury Porosimetry, and Contact Angle measurement.
- 5.Chromatography techniques: Thin layer chromatography, HPLC.
- 6.Basic instruments used in a Biochemistry and Biochemical Engineering lab.
Honours, Awards, and Recognition
- 1.International young scientist travel award, Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India, 2013
- 2.Demonstrated live experiments in Nanotechnology during “Techconnect-2013” (Tech Fest), Asia’s largest technical festival at IIT-Bombay, India 2012.
- 3.Best Poster presentation at International conference on advanced nanomaterials and nanotechnology (ICANN-2011), IIT-Guwahati, 2011
- 4.Institute graduate research fellowship,IIT Bombay, 2009-2014
- 5.Best Oral presentation at National Young Researchers’ Conference-2008 at UICT, Mumbai, 2008
- 6.MHRD fellowship (Government of India), IIT-BHU, 2006-2008
- 7.Qualified GATE-2006 qualified with All India Rank 115
As a Reviewer in Peer Reviewed Journals
- Chemical Society Reviews (SCI IF, 30.4), Nanoscale (SCI IF, 6.9), ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (SCI IF, 5.9); RSC Advances (SCI IF, 3.7), New Journal of Chemistry (SCI IF, 3.1), Advances in Polymer Technology (SCI IF, 2.1), Applied Nanoscience (Non SCI, Peer reviewed)