Welding Technology, Materials & Manufacturing Engineering
- Ph.D. (IIT Delhi) from Deptt. of Mechanical Engineering / Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (9.5 CGPA) – Jan 2015
- M.S.(R from Deptt. of Mechanical Engineering / Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (9.5 CGPA) – Converted to PhD in Jan 2012
- B.E. in Production Engineering / Nagpur University / Distinction (79.20% - 2nd University rank) in Aug 2003
Experience:- Total Experience 13+ years
- April 2018 – to date, Assistant Professor, Deptt., of Mechanical Engg., Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Thapar Technology Campus, Patiala, Punjab
- Jan 2018 – April 2018, Associate Professor, Deptt. of Mechanical Engg., Raisoni Group of Institutions, Jalgaon, Maharashtra
- Aug 2015 – Nov 2017, Postdoc Research Associate, MTRL, School of MACE, The University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Jan 2014 – July 2015, Associate Professor, Manav Rachna International University, Faridabad, India
- Dec 2009 – Dec 2013, Research Fellow, IRD, Deptt. Of Mechanical Engg., Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, IIT Delhi, New Delhi
- May 2008 – Dec 2009, Lecturer, Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Department, GIAET, Wardha, Maharashtra
- Aug 2006 – April 2008, Lecturer, Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Department, IIAEIT, Pune, Maharashtra
- Oct 2003 – Oct 2005: Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Government Polytechnic, Arvi, Dist-Wardha, Maharashtra
- Manufacturing Processes
- Welding and Joining Technologies
- Advanced Manufacturing Processes
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Industrial and Welding Metallurgy
- Machine Design
- Experimental welding of similar / dissimilar materials by arc / laser / EB processes
- Welding Metallurgy and Diffusion during welding
- Weld optimisation & instrumentation for modelling
- Structural Integrity of welded structures
- Fracture toughness and 2D/3D DIC technique for spatial variations in micro-mechanical properties of welded strucutres
- Residual stresses in welded structures
- Advanced metallurgical and mechanical characterisation of weldments
- Dinesh W. Rathod, Sunil Pandey, P.K. Singh, Rajesh Prasad, "Experimental Analysis of Dissimilar Metal Weld Joint: Ferritic to Stainless Steel", Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol.639, pp. 259-268, 2015. (Cite:15, IF-3.094)
- Dinesh W. Rathod, P.K. Singh, Sunil Pandey, S. Aravindan, “Effect of buffer-layered buttering on microstructure and mechanical properties of dissimilar metal weld joints for nuclear plant application”, Materials Science and Engineering: A. Vol.666, pp. 100-113, 2016. (Cite:11, IF-3.094)
- Dinesh W. Rathod, R K RajSingh, Sunil Pandey, S. Aravindan, P. K. Singh, “Influence of graded compositions and carbon diffusivities in buttering on structural integrity of dissimilar metal welds” in Materials Science and Engineering-A, Vol.702, pp. 289-300, 2017.(Cite:02, IF-3.094).
- Dinesh W. Rathod, John A. Francis, et al, “Thermal cycle-dependent metallurgical variations and their effects on through-thickness mechanical properties of thick section narrow-gap welds” in Materials Science and Engineering-A, Vol.707, pp. 399-411, 2017. (Cite:- 02, IF-3.094).
- Dinesh W. Rathod, Sunil Pandey, P.K. Singh, Rajesh Prasad, "Mechanical Properties Variations and Comparative Analysis of Dissimilar Metal Pipe Welds in Pressure Vessel System of Nuclear Plants", ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 138, pp. 011403, 2016. (Cite:13, IF-0.729)
- Dinesh W. Rathod, Sunil Pandey, P. K. Singh, Suranjit Kumar, “Microstructure-dependent fracture toughness (JIC) variations in dissimilar pipe welds for pressure vessel system of nuclear plants” in Journal of Nuclear Materials, Vol. 493, pp. 412-425, 2017. (Cite:-02, IF-2.048).
- Jeicai Feng, Dinesh W. Rathod, Matthew Roy, John Francis, et. al, “An Evaluation of Multipass Narrow Gap Laser Welding as a Candidate Process for the Manufacture of Nuclear Pressure Vessels” in International Journal of Pressure Vessel and Piping, Vol. 157, pp. 43-50, 2017, (Cite:- 01, IF-1.427)
- Dinesh W. Rathod, Sunil Pandey, S. Aravindan, P. K. Singh, “Metallurgical Behavior and Carbon Diffusion in Buttering Deposits Prepared With and Without Buffer Layers”, Acta Metallurgica Sinica, Vol.30, No.02, pp. 120-132, 2017 (Cite:02-, IF-1.292)
- Dinesh W. Rathod, S. Aravindan, P.K. Singh, Sunil Pandey, “Metallurgical Characterization and Diffusion Studies of successively buttered deposit of Ni-Fe alloy and Inconel on SA508 Ferritic Steel”, ISIJ International, Vol.54, No.08, pp. 1866-1875, 2014. (Cite:11, IF-1.110)
- Dinesh W. Rathod, Sunil Pandey, S. Aravindan, P. K. Singh, “Diffusion control and Metallurgical Behavior of successive buttering on SA508 steel using Ni-Fe alloy and Inconel 182”, Metallography, Microstructure and Analysis - ASM International, Vol.5, No.5, pp. 450-460, 2016. (Cite:02, IFSNIP-0.463)
- Mike Smith, A. Vasilieu, D W Rathod, J. Francis, N Irvin, Y Sun, “A review of welding research within the new nuclear manufacturing programe (NNUMAN), in Proceedings of the ASME Pressure Vessel and Piping, Hawaii, US, PVP2017-66180 (Cite:02, IF--).
- Dinesh Rathod, “Metallurgical Characterizations of Buttering Deposits”, MR International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 1, June, 2014.
- Dinesh Rathod, “Investigations of Metallurgical Properties of buttering deposits prepared with paste technique”, MR Intl. Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 1, June, 2014.
- Dinesh Rathod, Harshit Arora, B. S. Gill, “Increments in gauge length of extensometer with low cost approach: A Case Study”, MR Intl. Journal of Engg. and Tech.y, Vol. 6, No. 2, Dec, 2014
- “Friction Stir Welding of Nuclear grade SA508Gr.3Cl.1 and SS304LN dissimilar steels”, in IMechE-Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science. Revision Submitted (JMES-17-0983-R1)
- “Cooling environment effect on the microstructure and mechanical properties of friction stir welded joints”, in Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance. Revision Submitted (JMEP-17-10-14272-R1)
- “Measurement and Prediction of Phase Transformation Kinetics in a Nuclear Steel During Weld-Like Thermal Cycles”, in Metallurgical and Materials Transactions-A, Submitted (E-TP-18-1216-A)
- “Transverse shrinkage and angular distortion in thick section NG-GTAW and NG-SAW welds”, 39th MATADOR Conference, at University of Manchester, UK (July 5-7, 2017).
- “Phase Transformation Kinetics of Pressure-Vessel Steel Welds”, 2017 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition, at San Diego, California, (Feb 28, 2017).
- “Design and manufacture of industrially representative weld mock-ups for the quantification of residual stresses in a nuclear pressure vessel steel”, ICRM-10, Materials Research Proceedings 2, Sydney, Australia, Residual Stresses-2016_9781945291173-98.
- “Friction Stir Welding of Nuclear Grade Dissimilar Steels”, 23rd International Conference on Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials – PFAM-2014 (Dec 5-7, 2014), IIT Roorkee, India.
- “Study of Weld Bead Properties in Shallow Depth Underwater Wet Welding Using DOE”. National Welding Seminar 2013, (Feb 7-9, 2013), IIW Bangalore, India.
- And many more at national level conferences
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions:
- 2nd, 3rd, 3rd University rank holder in BE for 2nd, 3rd and Final year respectively.
- Second prize in National level Technical Paper presentation in ‘Zeal2003’
- Third prize in Project exhibition and competition ( The Institution of Engineers, Nagpur ,India) in ‘INNOVATION 2003’.
- Consolation prize in National level Project exhibition and competition in ‘Zeal2003’
- Reviewer for Metallurgical and Materials Transactions – A, Springer
- Reviewer for Materials Characterizations, Elsevier
- Reviewer for International Journal of Pressure Vessel and Piping, Elsevier
- Reviewer for Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Elsevier
- Reviewer for Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Springer
- Reviewer for International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Springer
- Reviewer for Nuclear Science and Techniques, Springer
- Reviewer for Materials Research, Ibero-American Journal of Materials
- Selected for Jr. and Sr. Research Fellowship for BARC project at IIT Delhi
- Led research and development of narrow gap (NG) welding techniques on thick section (130mm) RPV steels with weld characterization for proposed UK Gen-III+ Nuclear reactors
- Developed comprehensive database of WPS, PQR and standard procedures for dissimilar pipe welds in nuclear plants for Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai
- Suggested modifications in structural integrity assessment of nuclear plant dissimilar metal welds through published papers
- Developed modified buttering procedures that control carbon migration in dissimilar metal welds to enhance safe service life of dissimilar welds for use in nuclear plants
- Prepared grant extension applications (successful) and published technical reports
- Proved successful friction stir welding (FSW) of nuclear grade dissimilar steels
Message to Students & Community
Start where you are, with what you have, make something about it and never be satisfied as there is no limit for excellence. Believe in excellence not only in success