Cell Biology, Wound healing, Anti cancer and Anthelminthic Drug development, Drug delivery system Protein-nanoparticle interactions, Biosensors
Cell Biology, Wound healing, Anti cancer and Anthelminthic Drug development, Drug delivery system Protein-nanoparticle interactions, Biosensors.
Education and Training:
- 2012-2015: Post Doctoral Scientist, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- 2006-2012: Ph.D. in Biotechnology, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India.
- 2004-2006: M.Sc. Biotechnology; University of Calcutta, Kolkata.
- 2001-2004: B.Sc. Microbiology (Hons.), Rastraguru Surendranath College, Barrackpore, Kolkata.
- Assistant Professor (August 2015 – Present)
- School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Thapar University, Patiala
- Postdoctoral Scientist (July 2012 - August 2015)
- Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA. Area of research: Understanding of Cancer Microenvironment and Development of Early detection tool for Prostate Cancer.
- Doctoral (Ph.D.) work (August 2006 - July 2012)
- Department of Biotechnology, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India. Advisor: Dr. Gopal Chakrabarti Title of thesis: "Study of antimitotic activity of gold nanoparticles, apigenin and ginger aqueous extract by targeting tubulin-microtubule system." Area of research: Anti cancer drug development, Cell Biology, Drug-protein interactions.
Teaching Activities (in Thapar University):
- M.Sc. Biochemistry
- Bioinorganic and Biophysical Chemistry (PBC-103),
Bio-analytical Chemistry (PBC-104),
Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products (PBC-202),
Biosafety, Bioethics and IPR (PBC-305)
Biochemistry Lab-I (PBC-105)
Biochemistry Lab-II (PBC-203)
Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products (PCY-211)
Environmental Biochemistry and Ecology (PBC-401)
- M.Sc. Chemistry
- Advanced topics in Chemistry (PCY-402)
Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products (PCY-211)
- UCB 008: Applied Chemistry: Tutorials & Practicals
List of Publications (SCI Journals):
- Insulin Promotes Wound Healing by Inactivating NFkβP50/P65 and Activating Protein and Lipid Biosynthesis and alternating Pro/Anti-inflammatory Cytokines Dynamics." P. Kaur, D. Choudhury* Biomol. Concepts, 2019,. ahead of print, doi: 10.1515/bmc-2019-0002. (Impact Factor: yet to come).
- Autophagy inhibition with chloroquine reverts paclitaxel resistance and attenuates metastatic potential in human nonsmall lung adenocarcinoma A549 cells via ROS mediated modulation of β-catenin pathway. S. Datta, D. Choudhury, A. Das, D.D. Mukherjee, M. Dasgupta, S.Bandopadhyay, G. Chakrabarti* Apoptosis. 2019, ahead of print, doi: 10.1007/s10495-019-01526-y (Impact Factor: 3. 967)
- Novel nano-insulin formulation modulates cytokine secretion and remodeling to accelerate diabetic wound healing." P. Kaur, A.K. Sharma, D. Nag, A. Das, S.Datta, A. Ganguli, V. Goel, S. Rajput, G. Chakrabarti, B. Basu, D. Choudhury* Nanomedicine: NBM. 2019, 15(1), 47-57. (Impact Factor: 6.5)
- "Effective removal of metal ions from aqueous solution by mesoporous MnO2 and TiO2 monoliths: Kinetic and equilibrium modelling." M. Sharma, D. Choudhury, S. Hazra, S. Basu*, J. Alloys. Compd. 2018, 720, 221-229. (Impact Factor: 3.014)
- "Variation of Surface Area of Silica Monoliths by Controlling Ionic Character/Chain Length of Surfactants and Polymers." M. Sharma, A. Mishra, A. Mehta, D. Choudhury and S. Basu*, Mater. Lett. 2017, 194, 213-216. (Impact Factor: 2.489)
- "Paclitaxel resistance development is associated with biphasic changes in ROS, mitochondrial membrane potential and autophagy with elevated energy production capacity in lung cancer cells: A chronological study." S. Datta, D. Choudhury, A. Das, D.D. Mukherjee, N. Das, S.S. Roy, and G. Chakrabarti*, Tumor Biol. 2017, 39(2), 1-14. (Impact Factor: 3.65)
- "Effect of surfactants on the structure and adsorption efficiency of hydroxyapatite nanorods." M. Sharma, A. Mishra, A. Mehta, D. Choudhury and S. Basu, S.* J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 2017, 17, 1-11. (Impact Factor: 1.566)
- "Enhanced catalytic and antibacterial activity of nanocasted mesoporous silver monoliths: kinetic and thermodynamic studies." M. Sharma, A. Mehta, A. Mishra, D. Choudhury and S. Basu*, J. Sol-Gel Sci. Technol.2017, 81, 704-710. (Impact Factor: 1.660)
- "Gingival fibroblasts resist apoptosis in response to oxidative stress in a model of periodontal diseases." R. Chang, D. Choudhury, C. Liu, S. Billet, T. Hu and N.A. Bhowmick*, CD Discovery 2015, 1, 15046 (Impact Factor: Yet to come).
- "Inflammation and pyroptosis mediate muscle expansion in an IL-1β; -dependent manner." S. Haldar, C. Dru, D. Choudhury, A. Fernandez, S. Biondi, Z. Liu, K. Shimada, M. Arditi, and N.A. Bhowmick, J. Biol. Chem. 2015, 290(10), 6574-6583. (Impact Factor: 4.573)
- "Identification of a novel E-box binding PI polyamide inhibiting MYC-driven cell-proliferation." R. Mishra, T. Watanabe, M. Kimura, N. Koshikawa, M. Ikeda, S. Uekusa, H. Kawashima, X. Wang, J. Igarashi, D. Choudhury, C. Grandori, C. Kemp, M. Ohira, N. Verma, Y. Kobayashi, J. Takeuchi, T. Koshinaga, N. Nemoto, N. Fukuda, M. Soma, T. Kusafuka, K. Fujiwara, H. Nagase. Cancer Sci. 2015, 106(4), 421-429. (Impact Factor: 3.523)
- "Use of methionine metabolites in predicting recurrent prostate cancer affordably." D. Choudhury, S. Haldar, N.A. Bhowmick, Cancer Res. 2014, 74 (S19), 2868. (Impact Factor: 9.329)
- "Inhibition of autophagy by chloroquine potentiates synergistically anticancer property of artemisinin by promoting ROS dependent apoptosis." A. Ganguli, D. Choudhury, S. Datta, S. Bhattacharya and G. Chakrabarti Biochimie 2014, 107(B), 338-349.(Impact Factor: 2.963)
- "2,4-Dichlorophenoxy acetic acid induced toxicity in lung cells by disrupting tubulin-microtubule network." A. Ganguli,# D. Choudhury,# and G. Chakrabarti, Toxicol. Res. 2014, 3, 118-130. (Impact Factor: 3.529) [#= equal contribution].
- "Unprecedented inhibition of tubulin polymerization directed by gold nanoparticles inducing cell cycle arrest and apoptosis." D. Choudhury, P.L. Xavier, K. Chaudhari, R. John, A.K. Dasgupta, T. Pradeep, and G. Chakrabarti, Nanoscale 2013, 5(10), 4476-4489. (Impact Factor: 7.76)
- "Apigenin shows synergistic anticancer activity with curcumin by binding at different sites of tubulin." D. Choudhury, A. Ganguli, D.G. Dostidar, B.R. Acharya, A. Das, and Chakrabarti, G, Biochimie 2013, 95(6), 1297-1309. (Impact Factor: 2.96)
- "Acenaphthenequinone induces cell cycle arrest and mitochondrial apoptosis via disruption of cellular microtubule." A. Das, D. Choudhury, S. Chakrabarty, A. Bhattacharyya and G. Chakrabarti, Toxicol. Res. 2012, 1, 171-185. (Impact Factor: 3.983) [Cover page article]
- "The microtubule depolymerizing agent naphthazarin induces both apoptosis and autophagy in A549 lung cancer cells." B.A. Acharya, S. Bhattacharyya, D. Choudhury and G. Chakrabarti Apoptosis 2011, 16(9), 924-939. (Impact Factor: 3.685)
- "A complex of Co(II) with 2-hydroxyphenyl-azo-2'-naphthol (HPAN) is far less cytotoxic than the parent compound on A549-lung carcinoma and peripheral blood mononuclear cells: Reasons for reduction in cytotoxicity." T. Deb, D. Choudhury, P.S. Guin, M.B. Sahaq, G. Chakrabarti and S. Das, Chem. Biol. Interact. 2011, 189(3), 206-214.(Impact Factor: 2.577)
- "1,4-Benzoquinone (PBQ) induced toxicity in lung epithelial cells is mediated by the disruption of the microtubule network and activation of caspase-3." A. Das, S. Chakrabarty, D. Choudhury and G. Chakrabarti, Chem. Res. Toxicol. 2010, 23, 1054-1066.(Impact Factor: 3.523)
- "Aqueous extract of ginger shows anti proliferative activity through disruption of microtubule network of cancer cells." D. Choudhury, A. Das, A. Bhattacharya and G. Chakrabarti, Food Chem. Toxicol. 2010, 48(10), 2872-2880. (Impact Factor: 2.895)
- "Vitamin K3 disrupts the microtubule networks by binding to tubulin: a novel mechanism of its antiproliferative activity." B.R. Acharya, D. Choudhury, A. Das and G. Chakrabarti, Biochemistry 2009, 48(29), 6963-6974.(Impact Factor: 3.015)
- “Device, system and method for cancer prognosis and uses thereof”. N.A. Bhowmick, D. Choudhury, M.J. Baker, M.S. Drlik, B. Hansen and A. Bhowmick, (2016) International Patent No. PCT/US2016/017486. (Filed)
- “Methionine metabolites predict aggressive cancer progression”. N.A. Bhowmick and D. Choudhury, (2013) International Patent No. PCT/US2013/054415. (Granted June 2016)
Oral and Poster Presentations:
- 2014: Poster; Annual meeting of American Association for Cancer Research -2014, San Diego. California, USA.
- 2012: Poster; International conference on nanoscience and technology-2012, Hyderabad, India.
- 2010: Poster; Nanotech India-2010, an international conference, Kochi, India, November.
- 2010: Oral; National Science day conference-2010, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India.
- 2007: Poster; 2nd international symposium on translational Research at Lonawala, India.
Awards / Honours / Fellowships:
- 2018: Profession incentive scheme (PIS Award) for excellent performance year 2017-18 TIET, Patiala.
- 2012: Young investigator award, ICONSAT 2012, Hyderabad, India.
- 2010: International travel award; DST, India.
- 2010: International Travel ward; CSIR, India.
- 2010: Senior Research Fellowship (SRF), Independent-CSIR.
- 2009: Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), CSIR-NET.
- 2007: Lectureship (LS), CSIR-NET.
- 2006: Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), DAE/BRNS sponsored project.
- 2006: Graduate aptitude test in engineering (GATE), Life Sciences.
Sponsored Research Projects:
- "Encapsulation of Mesoporous Carbohydrate Nanoparticles on Intestinal Microflora Cell Surface for Enhancement of Drug Effectiveness" DST-SERB, 43.12 lakhs, 2017-2020.
- "Exploration of Indian Pteridophytes to fight against lung cancer" Seed Money Grant, Thapar University, 4.95 lakhs, 2016-2018.
Other Professional Activities:
- Life Member of Society of Biological Chemist, India.
- Served as a reviewer for many international journals.