Manufacturing, Material Characterization, Physical and Mechanical Metallurgy, Metal forming, Mechanical Properties, Microstructure, Finite Element modelling/Simulation
Dr. Gulshan Kumar is presently working as an Assistant Professor in Mechanical Engineering Department at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, India. He is associated with the production group of the department. He received his PhD degree in the field of Residual stresses in zirconium from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB), April 2017. He received his Bachelors degree (B. Tech) in Mechanical Engineering from N. C. College of Engineering (Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra) in 2009. He has experience of 32 months of teaching (Pre PhD and Post PhD). He has published the papers in various international journals. He is supervising Masters and PhD candidates for research thesis. His research field includes Metal forming, residual stress, structure-property correlation, material characterization and FE based simulations. His other research interests is in sheet metal forming, thermo-mechanical processing of metallic materials, stress relief annealing and FEM simulation of machining processes.
Publications and other Research Outputs
SCI 12, Non-SCI NIL
- Gulshan Kumar, S. Balo, A. Dhoble, J. Singh, R. Singh, D. Srivastava, G. K. Dey, and I. Samajdar, “Through thickness deformation gradient in a part-pilgered zirconium tube: Experimental measurements and numerical validation”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction A (2017) 48: 2844, DOI: 10.1007/s11661-017-4032-y.
- Gulshan Kumar, A.K. Kanjrala, A. Lodh, Ramesh Singh, Jaiveer Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, N. Saibaba, and I. Samajdar, "Burst Ductility of Zirconium Clad: The Defining Role of Residual Stress”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction A, Volume 47 (2016) 3882.
- Gulshan Kumar, Ramesh Singh, Jaiveer Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, I. Samajdar, "Defining the stages of annealing in a moderately deformed commercial Zirconium alloy", J. Nucl. Mater., 466 (2015) 243-252.
- Jaiveer Singh, S. Mahesh, Shomik Roy, Gulshan Kumar, D. Srivastava, G. K. Dey, N. Saibaba, I. Samajdar, “Temperature dependence of work hardening in sparsely twinning zirconium”, Acta Materialia, 123 (2017) 337-349.
- Jaiveer Singh, S. Mahesh, Shomic Roy, Gulshan Kumar, D. Srivastava, G. K. Dey, N. Saibaba, I. Samajdar, "A miniature physical simulator for pilgering", J. Mater. Process. Technol. 237 (2016) 126-138.
- Jaiveer Singh, S. Mahesh, Gulshan Kumar, Prita Pant, D. Srivastava, G. K. Dey, N. Saibaba, I. Samajdar, "Deformation Twinning in Zirconium: Direct Experimental Observations and Polycrystal Plasticity Predictions", Metall. Mater. Trans. A, Vol. 46, Issue 11 (2015) 5058-5071.
- Jaiveer Singh, S. Mahesh, Gulshan Kumar, Prita Pant, D. Srivastava, G. K. Dey, N. Saibaba, I. Samajdar, “Texture Development and Plastic Deformation in a Pilgered Zircaloy-4 Tube”, Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 46A (2015) 1927-1947.
- Nabaneeta Mukhopadhyay, Ajay S. Panwar, Gulshan Kumar, I. Samajdar, Arup R. Bhattacharyya, “Influence of non-covalent modification of multiwalled carbon nanotubes on the crystallization behaviour of binary blends of polypropylene and polyamide 6”,Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., Volume 17(6) (2015) 4293-4310.
- Amit Kumar, Darshan Chalapathi, Gulshan Kumar, Rajesh Khatirkar, Satyam Suwas, “Microstructure and texture development during cold rolling in UNS 32205 and UNS 32760 duplex stainless steels”, Metallurgical and Materials Transaction A (2017) 48: 2349, DOI: 10.1007/s11661-017-4026-9.
- S K Sahoo, S Panda;R.K. Sabat; G Kumar; S.C. Mishra; U.K. mohanty; S Suwas, "Effect of Pre-annealing Strains on Annealing Texture Development in commercially Pure (CP) Titanium", Philos. Mag.,95 (2015) 1105-1124.
- S Panda, S K Sahoo, A Dash, M Bagwan, G Kumar, S C Mishra, S Suwas, "Orientation Dependent Mechanical Properties of Commercially Pure (cp) Titanium", Mater. Chract., 98 (2014) 93-101.
- Gulshan Kumar, Arijit Lodh, Jaiveer Singh, Ramesh Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, I. Samajdar, “Experimental characterization and finite element modeling of through thickness deformation gradient in a cold rolled zirconium sheet”, CIRP Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology, (2017) In Press, DOI: 10.1016/j.cirpj.2017.09.002
- Aruna Devi; Neogy, S.; Srivastava, D.; Dey, G.K.; Menon, Ranjini; Nabhiraj, P.Y.; Kumar, G.; Samajdar, I., “Characterization of heavy ion induced defects in Zr-2.5 wt. % Nb by grazing incidence X-ray diffraction”, Proceedings of the international conference on electron microscopy and thirty sixth annual meeting of the Electron Microscope Society of India: abstract book and souvenir, 47(2) (2015).
- I Samajdar, Gulshan Kumar, Jaiveer Singh, Arijit Lodh, D Srivastava, R Tewari, GK Dey, N Saibaba, “Zirconium microstructures: uncharted possibilities”, Proceedings of the international conference on electron microscopy and thirty sixth annual meeting of the Electron Microscope Society of India: abstract book and souvenir, 47(2) (2015).
- S. Panda, G. Kumar, S.C. Mishra, S. Suwas,S. K. Sahoo, “Recrystallization Texture in Commercially Pure (CP) Titanium”, 17th International Conference on Textures of Materials, August 24 - 29, 2014, Dresden.
Papers presented/accepted in International/National Conferences:
- Gulshan Kumar, Ramesh Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, I. Samajdar, entitled “Residual Stresses in Zirconium: Stress Gradients and Effects on Ductility”, presented in “National Metallurgist Day & Annual Technical Meeting (NMD & ATM 2013)” held at IIT BHU [12th-15th November 2013]
- Gulshan Kumar, Ramesh Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, N. Saibaba, I. Samajdar, entitled “Micro-Texture Development in Relation to Total Circumferential Elongation: Burst Test Performance in Zircaloy-4 Clads” presented in “TMS 2014 143rd Annual Meeting & Exhibition” held at San Diego Convention Center, California, USA. [16th-20th February 2014]
- Gulshan Kumar, Ramesh Singh, Jaiveer Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, I. Samajdar, entitled “Residual Stresses in Zirconium: Effects and Origin” presented in “17th International Conference on Textures of Materials (ICOTOM-17)” held at Dresden, Germany.
- Gulshan Kumar, Ramesh Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, I. Samajdar, entitled “Deformation and Stress Gradients in Rolled Zircaloy-4”, presented in “Research Scholar’s and Alumni Symposium (RSAS-2014)” held at IIT Bombay. [7th-8th March 2014]
- Gulshan Kumar, Ramesh Singh, Jaiveer Singh, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, I. Samajdar, entitled " Role and effectiveness of plastic deformation and stress-relief in Zirconium" presented in "National Metallurgist Day & Annual Technical Meeting (NMD & ATM 2014)" held at COEP Pune, India. [12th-15th November 2014]
- Gulshan Kumar, Manager Singh, R.D. Doherty, I. Samajdar, entitled “Bi-metallic Cannons in India: The Manufacturing?, presented in “National Metallurgist Day & Annual Technical Meeting (NMD & ATM 2013)” held at IIT BHU. [12th-15th November 2013]
- Gulshan Kumar, Ramesh Singh, I. Samajdar, D. Srivastava, G.K. Dey, N. Saibaba, entitled “The Role of Micro Texture in Total Circumferential Elongation: Zircaloy-4 Fuel Clads”, presented in “Microstrucre-Diffraction-2013” held at IIT Bombay.
M.E. Thesis (as Supervisor)
- Mr. Rakesh Kumar, Thesis title: Study of residual stress distribution in relation to microstructure during deep cold rolling of Al6061 alloy: An experimental and numerical validation (Awarded)
- Mr. Ayush Singla, Thesis Title: Through thickness residual stress distribution during cold rolling of titanium alloy (commercially-pure Ti) (Awarded)
M.E. Thesis (as Co-Supervisor)
- Mr Hitesh Mittal, Thesis Title: Experimental investigation and Finite Element Simulation of strain in the developable surfaces (Awarded)
Awards and Honours
- Awarded Institute PG Passing Out Color award for the performance throughout stay at IIT Bombay [April 2017]
- Awarded Department Citation for the performance throughout stay at Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science, IIT Bombay [December 2016]
- Awarded Travel Grant to attend international conference (ICOTOM-17), from MRSI (Materials Research Society of India), Mumbai Chapter [July 2014]
- Awarded Best oral presentation award in 6 th National Symposium for Materials Research Scholar’s (MR-14) held at IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India [May 2014]
- Awarded Institute Organizational Color for the year 2013-14 by IIT Bombay Student Gymkhana [April 2014]
- Awarded Department Organizational Special Mention for the academic year 2012-13.
- Awarded MHRD Fellowship from Govt. of India for pursuing Ph.D. degree at IIT Bombay [July 2010-June 2015]
- Awarded Gold Medal by Haryana State Governor for standing 1st position in B.Tech. (Mechanical Engg.) [April 2010]
Description of Research Interests
Bulk and sheet metal forming: cold rolling, deep cold rolling, ring rolling, pilgering, stamping, bending, deep drawing etc.
Mechanical behaviour of materials, Microstructure in relation to mechanical properties of metallic materials, Residual stresses measurements, X-ray diffraction, and Crystallographic texture.
Thermo-mechanical processing of metallic materials, recovery, recrystallization and grain growth.
Finite element modeling/simulation: Finite element modelling of different manufacturing processes. Prediction of fracture using continuum damage mechanics in forming processes such as rolling, drawing, and forging.