Tribology, Materials and Design
Contact No.: 9972817423
Dr. Hiralal Bhowmick received his PhD in 2013 from IISc Bangalore, India and M.Tech. from Dibrugarh University, Assam, India with first class. He graduated in Mechanical Engineering from Jorhat Engineering College (Govt), Assam, India with first class. At present, he is working as Assistant Professor at Mechanical Engineering Department of Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala. He has a total 9 years of research, teaching and industrial experience. He worked as Asst Project Engineer at IIT Guwahati (2004 to 2007). He was awarded Research Associate fellowship from IISc, Bangalore (2012-13). His research interests include Tribology, Composites, Surface Engineering and Mechanics of Nanolubricants. He has published 10 SCI/SCIE papers in various international journals of high repute and presented in national/international conferences held in India and abroad. He has supervised 9 Master theses till now. Two (2) PhDs are going-on under his supervision. He is also the reviewer of some internationally reputed SCI/SCIE journals.
Completed a project of Rs. 5.00 lakhs, sponsored by Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala.
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
- Life Member of Tribology Society of India (TSI)
- Member of SAE India
Publications and other Research Outputs
Publications: 10 (SCI), 02(Non-SCI)
No. of Ph.D. dissertations ongoing: 02
No. of ME dissertations supervised: 09
Reviewer of International Journals:
- Lubrication Science (Wiley)
- Production and Manufacturing research (Taylor and Francis)
- Journal of Engineering Manufacture (Sage, UK)
Selected SCI Publications
- Kaushal S, Gupta D, Bhowmick H. On Microstructure and Wear Behavior of Microwave Processed Composite Clad. ASME. J. Tribol. 2017;139(6):061602-061602-8. doi:10.1115/1.4035844.
- Kaushal S, Gupta D, Bhowmick H. Investigation of Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of Ni–SiC Microwave Cladding. ASME. J. Tribol. 2017;139(4):041603-041603-9. doi:10.1115/1.4035147.
- Kaushal S, Sirohi V, Gupta D, Bhowmick H, Singh S. Processing and characterization of composite cladding through microwave heating on martensitic steel. Proc. IMechE, Part L: Journal of Materials Design and Applications, 2015, doi: 10.1177/1464420715616139.
- Bhowmick H, Majumdar SK, Biswas SK. Influence of physical structure and chemistry of diesel soot suspended in hexadecane on lubrication of steel-on-steel contact. WEAR 2013; 300:180-188. doi: 10.1016/j.wear.2013.01.101.
- Bhowmick H, Majumdar SK, Biswas SK. Dry tribology and nanomechanics of gaseous flame soot in comparison with carbon black and diesel soot. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 2012; 226: 394-402.
- Bhowmick H, Biswas SK. Relationship between physical structure and tribology of single soot particles generated by burning ethylene. Tribology Letters 2011; 44: 139
Awards and Honours
- IISc Research Associate fellowship
- MHRD scholarship during PhD
- Invited Research Scholar to ETH, Switzerland
- Ranked 1st in the batch of BE and 2nd in the batch of MTech
- Merit scholarship: Xth, BE and MTech.
Deion of Research Interests
- Multiscale Tribology,
- Mechanical Behaviour and Characterization of Materials,
- Tribological Design of Machine Elements,
- Modelling and Simulation based on FEM, MD & DPD