Synthetic Organic Chemistry
Dr. Chhibber's research group works around the synthesis of phenyl ether based molecules to create motifs that can efficiently detect ions and bio molecules. All the synthesized compounds are analyzed for their potential antibacterial activities due to their ability to inhibit fatty acid biosynthesis by blocking enzymes (enoyl-ACP-reductase) in the pathway.
Education and Training
- PhD (Chemistry, 2003), Department of Chemistry, Panjab University
- Post-Doc at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- 2014 – Present: Associate Professor, SCBC, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology
- 2007 – 2014: Assistant Professor, SCBC, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology
Dr. Chhibber has been teaching both undergraduate (engineering) and postgraduate (sciences) students ever since his joining. His interests include application based interdisciplinary chemistry teaching to undergraduate students, basic chemical biology and advance practical organic chemistry to postgraduate students besides motivating them all to innovate and apply.
List of Publications (SCI Journals)
- Rashmi Sharma, Manmohan Chhibber and Susheel K. Mittal; Ether-Imine Based Multiresponsive Voltammetric Dipodal Receptor for Nanomolar Detection of Copper Ions, J. Electrochem. Soc. (2016), 163, B751-B760.
- Rashmi Sharma, Manmohan Chhibber and Susheel K. Mittal; A new ionophore for chemical sensing of F−, CN− and Co2+ using voltammetric, colorimetric and spectrofluorimetric techniques, RSC Advances, (2016), 6, 51153-51160.
- Ramandeep K. Mehton, Vineet Meshram, Sanjai Saxena and Manmohan Chhibber; Synthesis and Anti-Staphylococcal Activity of 2, 4-Disubstituted Diphenylamines, J. Braz. Chem. Soc., (2016), 27,
- Rashmi Sharma, Susheel K. Mittal and Manmohan Chhibber; Voltammetric Sensor for Fluoride Ions Using Diphenylether Derivatives Supported by NMR and Theoritical Studies, J. Electrochem. Soc. (2015), 162, B1-B8.
- Rashmi Sharma, Manmohan Chhibber and Susheel K. Mittal; Diphenylether based Derivatives as Fe(III) chemosensors : Spectrofluorimetry, electrochemical and theoretical studies, RSC Advances, (2015), 5, 21831-21842.
- Susheel K. Mittal, Rashmi Sharma, Manisha Sharma, Narinder Singh, Jasminder Singh, Navneet Kaur and Manmohan Chhibber; Voltammetry of nanoparticle-coupled imine linkage-based receptors for sensing of Al(III) and Co(II) ions, J. Appl. Electrochem., (2014), 44, 1239-1251.
- Gurpreet Kaur Khaira, Rashmi Kumariya, Manmohan Chhibber and Moushumi Ghosh; Development of a quaternized chitosan with enhanced antibacterial efficacy, J. Water Health, (2013), 11, 410-418.
- Bhaskar Chetnani, Parimal Kumar, K. V. Abhinav, Manmohan Chhibber, A. Surolia, and M. Vijayan; Location and conformation of pantothenate and its derivatives in Mycobacterium tuberculosispantothenate kinase: insights into enzyme action, Acta. Crystallographica. Section D, (2011), D67, 774–783.
- Satnam S. Aulakh, Manmohan Chhibber, Rasika Mantri and Ranjana Prakash; Whole cell catalyzed esterification of fatty acids to biodiesel using Aspergillus sp., BiocataI. Biotransfor., (2011), 29, 354-358.
- Ira Surolia, Manmohan Chhibber, Debi Prasad Sarkar and Sharmistha Sinha; Fibrillogenesis in ADan peptides is inhibited by biphenyl ethers, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, (2008), 370, 681–686.
- Sarika Gupta, Manmohan Chhibber,§ Sharmistha Sinha and Avadhesha Surolia; Design of Mechanism-Based Inhibitors of Transthyretin Amyloidosis: Studies with Biphenyl Ethers and New Structural Templates, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, ( 2007), 50, 5589-5599.
- Parimal Kumar, Manmohan Chhibber, Avadhesha Surolia; How pantothenol intervenes in Coenzyme-A biosynthesis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, (2007), 361, 903–909.
- Manmohan Chhibber, Gyanendra Kumar, Prasanna Parasuraman, T. N. C. Ramya, Namita Surolia and Avadhesha Surolia; Novel diphenyl ethers: Design, docking studies, synthesis and inhibition of enoyl ACP reductase of Plasmodium falciparum and Escherichia coli, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, (2006), 14, 8086–8098.
- Manmohan Chhibber; Potassium Fluoride on Alumina (KF/Al2O3), Synlett, (2004), 197– 198.
- Jasvinder Singha, Munisha Sharma, Manmohan Chhibber, Jasamrit Kaur and Goverdhan L. Kad; Chemoselective Oxidation of Benzylic Alcohols with Solid Supported CrO3/TBHP Under Microwave Irradiation, Synthetic Communications, (2000), 30, 3941-3945.
List of Publications (Non-SCI Journals)
- Ramandeep K. Mehton, T.N.C. Ramya and Manmohan Chhibber; Enhancement in the solubility
- of triclosan with Triton X-100 without affecting its antibacterial activity in Escherichia coli , Res. J. Chem. Environ. (2015), 19(11), 14-27.
- Satnam Singh, Sneha Aggrawal, Manmohan Chhibber and Ranjana Prakash; Lipase Catalyzed Transesterification of Cottonseed Oil, Journal of Pure & Applied Microbiology, (2010), 4, 367-372.
Mentor in TEQIP-II sponsored Faculty Development Programme cum Refresher Course organised by UIET, Kurushetra University, Kurushetra. Importance of Interdisciplinary Subjects In Current Engineering Education
Venue: Dept. of Computer Engg., Kurushetra University, Date: January 20, 2017
Mentor in Department of Science and Technology (Govt. of India) sponsored INSPIRES PROGRAMMES
- Asian Educational Institute, Sirhind Road, Patiala. January 2013.
- ISF College of Pharmacy, Ferozepur G T Road, Moga, Punjab. August 2012
- RIMT Institute of Engineering and Technology, Mandi Gobindgarh, Punjab, February 2012
- Organised by Bangalore Association for Science and Education (BASE),
Pheromones: Importance, Utility and Synthesis;
Venue: Jawahar Lal Nehru Planetarium, Bangalore. Date: November 16, 2006.
- Organised by Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), Hyderabad.
Fatty Acid Synthase II: Possible New Drug Target for Antimalarials and Antibacterials
Venue: IIIT, Hyderabad. Date: February 17, 2007.
- Organised by Science Association of MCM DAV College for Women,
Nature: An Ultimate Source of Inspiration for Science and Society;
Venue: MCM DAV College for Women, Chandigarh. Date: February 15, 2012.
Sponsored Research Projects
|Technology development of novel biopolymers for potable water treatment
(In Collaboration with Dept. Of Biotechnology-Thapar Univ.)
|Dept. of Science & Technology
( DST- GOI)
|Design and development of diphenylether based supramolecucules for electroanalytical probes
||Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS)
|Synthesis and characterization of diphenyl ether/analogues for their antibacterial activity
||University Grants Commission
|Isolation and Characterization of Xanthine oxidase inhibitors from endophytic fungi for treatment of Hyperurecimia and Gout
(In Collaboration with Dept. Of Biotechnology-Thapar Univ.)
|Dept. of Biotechnology
- Susheel K Mittal, Manmohan Chhibber, Rashmi Sharma, Novel Chemical Compound for Detection And Estimation Of Cerium (III). Indian Patent Filed in March 2017 (File No. 201711004742)
- Avadhesha Surolia, Namita Surolia, Gyanendra, Kumar, Manmohan Chhibber, Prasanna Parasuraman, Sanjay Kumar, Shailendra K Sharma and Shilpi Sharma; 2-Thixothiazolidin-4-one compounds and composition as antimicrobial and antimalarial agents targeting enoyl-acoreductase of type II fatty acid synthesis pathway and other cell growth pathway, Singapore Patent No: 136059 awarded on 31.03.2010.
- Shilpi Sharma, Namita Surolia, Prasanna Parasuraman, Avadhesha Surolia, Manmohan Chhibber, Sanjay Kumar, Shailendra K Sharma and Gyanendra, Kumar; 2-Thixothiazolidin-4-one compounds and composition as antimicrobial and antimalarial agents targeting enoyl-acoreductase of type II fatty acid synthesis pathway and other cell growth pathway, Australian Patent No: 2007201027 awarded on 04.02.2010.
Other Professional Activities
embership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
- Life Member (LM/231/14) - Association of Carbohydrate Chemists and Technologists (India).
- Life Member (LM/942/13) - Metrology Society of India