Diffusion in Polymer Films, Thin Films, Drying of Cross Linking Coatings, Drying of Water Base Coatings.
Contact No.: +91-175-239-3388
Polymeric Coating, Modelling & Simulation
Dr. Raj Kumar Arya has completed his Ph.D. in chemical engineering from IIT Bombay, India, in Jan 2010. He did his M. Tech. in chemical engineering from IIT Delhi, India, in Dec 2002 and B. Tech. in chemical engineering from HBTI Kanpur, UP, India, in June 2001. At present, he is working as assistant professor in chemical engineering at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Punjab, India. Prior, he has worked as faculty member at Jaypee University of Engineering & Technology, Guna, M.P., India and BITS – Pilani- Goa Campus, India. He is active researcher in the field of polymeric thin film coating and modeling & simulation. He has guided 5 master’s students. He has published 19 Scopus Indexed journal papers. He is the reviewer of several SCI journals He is life member of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers.
Title: Drying of Polymer – Polymer – Solvent Coatings: Experimental and Simulation Study
Period: 20-02-2017 to 19-02-2021Amount:
Funded by: Science and Engineering Research Board – Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi, India
Amount: Rs 41.21 Lakhs
Summary: This project deals with designing of coatings to minimize the residual solvent and to develop the diffusion model to characterize the drying. The coatings will also be dried at elevated and at very low temperatures using thermo gravimetric analyzer. This study will resemble the situations of very harsh weather conditions like extreme cold and extreme hot climate. Morphological analysis will done using TEM/SEM/ AFM techniques to get the surface analysis of sample at the desired depth. This study will tell whether coating is completely dense or dense at top and bottom or asymmetric. Various free energy models and chemical potential equations along with Bearman’s friction factor theory will be used to develop the model equations to calculate the self-diffusion and mutual diffusion coefficients in polymer – polymer – solvent system. The model equations will be plugged into the Fick’s second law of diffusion to calculate the concentration profiles within the coating with time and depth. The model predicted profiles will be compared with experimental depth profiles measured using confocal Raman spectroscopy.
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
Publications and other Research Outputs
- Raj Kumar Arya and Madhu Vinjamur, 2009, “Near –Optimization of Operating Conditions and Residence Time in Multi-zone Dryers for Polymer Coatings”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 48(23), 10504-10514., DOI: 10.1021/ie900604f , Published: October 2009
- Raj Kumar Arya and Madhu Vinjamur, 2012, “Sensitivity Analysis of Free-Volume Theory Parameters in Multicomponent Polymer-Solvent-Solvent Systems”, Journal of Polymer Engineering, 32, 8-9, 463-473, DOI: 10.1515/polyeng-2012-0064, Published : October 2012.
- Jitendra Katariya and Raj Kumar Arya, 2012, “Drying of Binary Thin Film Polymeric Coatings: An Experimental Study”, Polish Journal of Chemical Technology, 14, 4, 83-87. DOI: 10.2478/v10026-012-0107-0, Published: January 2013.
- Raj Kumar Arya and Madhu Vinjamur, 2013, “Measurement of Concentration Profiles Using Confocal Raman Spectroscopy in Multicomponent Polymeric Coatings – Model Validation”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 126, 6, 3906 - 3918, DOI: 10.1002/app.38589, Published: June 2013.
- Raj Kumar Arya, 2013, “Finite Element Solution of Coupled-Partial Differential and ordinary Equations in Multicomponent Polymeric Coatings”, Computers and Chemical Engineering, 50, 5,152-183, DOI: 10.1016/j.compchemeng.2012.10.015, Published on 20 Nov 2012.
- Raj Kumar Arya, 2014, “Characterization of Bio-Active Nanoparticles – Bhasma An Ayurvedic Drug”, Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, 48(1), 61–68. doi:10.5530/ijper.48.1.10 , Accepted 21 Jan 2013, Published on 30 Jan 2014.
- Raj Kumar Arya, 2014, “Measurement of Concentrations Profiles in Thin Film Binary Polymer-Solvent Coatings Using Confocal Raman Spectroscopy: Free Volume Model Validation”,Drying Technology, 32(8), 992 – 1002, DOI: 10.1080/07373937.2014.880714, Accepted 3 Jan 2014, Published Online: 14 May 2014.
- Udit Mohan Singhal, Rahul Dixit and Raj Kumar Arya, 2014, “Drying of Multilayer Polymeric Coatings Part I: An Experimental Study”, Drying Technology, 32(14), 1727 – 1740, DOI: 10.1080/07373937.2014.924526, Accepted on 7 May 2014, Published Online on 23 May 2014.
- Chitresh Kumar Bhargava and Raj Kumar Arya, 2015, “Design of Binary Polymeric Coatings for Minimizing the Residual Solvent Part I: Experimentation”, Drying Technology, 33, 1, 92 – 102, DOI: 10.1080/07373937.2014.936557, Accepted on 16 June 2014, Published Online on 9 July 2014.
- Raj Kumar Arya and Chitresh Kumar Bhargava, 2015, “Simulation Analysis of Drying of Ternary Polymeric Solution Coatings”, Progress in Organic Coatings, 78, 155 – 167, DOI: 10.1016/j.porgcoat.2014.09.011, Accepted on 23 September 2014, Published online on 12 October 2014, Final on Jan 2015.
- Kshitij Tiwari, Sumit Agrawal, and Raj Kumar Arya, 2015, “Generalized Pinch Analysis Scheme Using MATLAB”, Chemical Engineering & Technology, 38(3), 530 – 536, DOI: 10.1002/ceat.201400475, Accepted on 12 December 2014, Published online on 24 Feb 2015.
- Abhi Sharma, Anmol Sharma and Raj Kumar Arya, 2015, “Removal of Mercury(II) Ions from Aqueous Solution – A Review of Recent Work”, Separation Science & Technology, 50,9, 1310 – 1320, DOI: 10.1080/01496395.2014.968261, Accepted on 18 September 2014, Published online on 6 Dec 2014.
- Raj Kumar Arya , Kshitij Tiwari, Sakshi Shukla, 2016, “Non-Fickian Drying of Binary Polymeric Coatings: Depth Profiling Study Using Confocal Raman Spectroscopy”, Progress in Organic Coatings, 95, 8 – 19, DOI: 10.1016/j.porgcoat.2016.02.004, Accepted on 8 February 2016, Published Online on 1 March 2016.
- Aman Pathania, Raj Kumar Arya, Sanjeev Ahuja, 2017, “Crosslinked Polymeric Coatings: Preparation, Characterization, and Diffusion Study”, Progress in Organic Coatings, 105, 149 – 162, DOI: 10.1016/j.porgcoat.2016.12.023, Accepted on 21 December 2016.
- Chitresh Kumar Bhargava and Raj Kumar Arya, 2017, “Simplified MATLAB Solution Schemes for Heat Transfer Equations”, Chemical Engineering & Technology, 40, 1, 39 - 49, DOI:10.1002/ceat.201500220, Accepted on 17 August 2016, Published online on 22 August 2016.
- Kshitij Tewari, Gaurav Singhal, and Raj Kumar Arya, 2017, “Adsorption Removal of Malachite Green Dye from Aqueous Solution”, Reviews in Chemical Engineering , DOI: 10.1515/revce-2016-0041, Accepted on 6 March 2017, Published On 5 May 2017.
- Sanjeev Ahuja and Raj Kumar Arya, 2017, “Comparison of The Performances of Different Reduced Forms of a Condenser Model”, Chemical Engineering & Technology, 40, 9, 1630 – 1637, DOI: 10.1002/ceat.201600114, Accepted on 21 April 2017, Published on 26 April 2017.
- yoti Sharma, Kshitij Tewari, Raj Kumar Arya, 2017, “Diffusion in Polymeric Systems – A Review on Free Volume Theory”, Progress in Organic Coatings,111, 83 – 92, DOI:10.1016/j.porgcoat.2017.05.004, Accepted on 10 May 2017, Published on 27 May 2017.
- Raj Kumar Arya, 2011, “Calibration Curves to Measure Concentrations in Multicomponent Polymeric Coatings Using Confocal Raman Spectroscopy” , International Journal of Chemical Engineering and Applications, 2(6), 421-424., DOI: 10.7763/IJCEA.2011.V2.145, Published: December 2011
- Raj Kumar Arya, 2012, “Photoelectrochemical Hydrogen Production Using Visible Light”, International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, 2(2), 289-294, Published: April 2012.
- Raj Kumar Arya, 2013, “Phase Separation in Multicomponent Polymer – Solvent – Nonsolvent Coatings”, South African Journal of Chemical Engineering, 18, 1, 30 – 40, Published: November 2013.
Awards and Honours
- 3rd Position in poster presentation during CHEMCON 2016 in the category of Polymer/ polymer rheology. Aman Pathania and Raj Kumar Arya, 2016, “Residual Solvent Study During the Drying of Crosslinked Polymeric Coatings”, CHEMCON 2016, Dec 27 – 30, Anna University, Chennai, India.
- Best Undergraduate Research Paper Award For Publishing in Highest Impact Factor Journal by IICHE , 2015. Raj Kumar Arya and Chitresh Kumar Bhargava, 2015, “Simulation Analysis of Drying of Ternary Polymeric Solution Coatings”, Progress in Organic Coatings, 78, 155 – 167, Accepted on 23 September 2014, Published online on 12 October 2014, DOI: 10.1016/j.porgcoat.2014.09.011.
- 2nd Prize in model making content at Institute Level, 1998 – 1999, Department of Chemical Engineering, HBTI Kanpur, U.P., India.
Description of Research Interests
He is currently working in the field of polymeric coating to study the diffusion and drying characteristics. He is extensively working in experimental and simulation studies related to coatings. He has developed an easy and robust algorithm to get the near optimum residual solvent by simple programme to avoid the need of complex and time consuming optimization that is highly guess dependent.