CAD CAM Robotics, Multi-axis CNC Machining
- Ph.D. (5-axis CNC machining), Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Jan 2016
- M.E. (CAD/CAM & Robotics), Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, June 2004
- B.Tech. (Production Engineering), Beant College of Engg and Tech, Gurdaspur, Punjab, P.T.U., Jalandhar, June 2001.
• Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department (MED), Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET), Patiala, from 1st August, 2019 to till date
• Assistant Professor-III, MED, TIET, Patiala, from 17st July, 2017 to 31st July 2019
• Postdoctoral Research Fellow at University of Waterloo, Canada from Jan-Dec 2017
• Assistant Professor-II, MED, TIET, Patiala, from 2nd June, 2016 to 16th July, 2017
• Assistant Professor-1, MED, TIET, Patiala, from 07th April, 2006 to 1st June 2016
• Lecturer (Adhoc), MED, TIET, Patiala, from 20th July 2004 to 6th April 2006
• Lecturer (Adhoc), MED, University College of Engineering (UCoE), Punjabi University, Patiala, from 28th January 2004 to 5th July 2004
• Engineering drawing
• Computer Aided Manufacturing
• Industrial Engineering
• Industrial Automation
• Computer Aided Design (CAD) and related subjects
• Developments of Algorithms for multipoint tool positioning for five-axis CNC machining of sculptured surfaces
• Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing
• Computer Aided Engineering
• CNC Machine Tool Design
• Robotics and Mechatronics
• Journal Bearing Design and Non-Newtonian Lubrication.
• Finite Element Analysis
Life member of Tribology Society of India.
Research and Infrastructure Projects Handled
||Sponsoring Agency and duration
||Amount and responsibility (PI/CoPI)
“Development of prototype of Flat Bed 3-axis PC controlled vertical NC milling machine for sculptured surface machining for ornamental wood carving”
DSIR, Govt. of India
30th September, 2011 to October 2012
Rs 2.10 Lacs
(U.S. $ 3500/-)
State Initiated Design Centre for Ornamental Wood Carving (SIDC)
Ministry of Textile, Govt. of India
March 2008-July 2010
Rs 97.50 Lacs
(U.S. $ 203125/-)
(Project PI: Dr Ajay Batish)
Completed in July 2010
DST, Govt. of India
Rs 86 Lacs
(U.S. $ 132310/-)
(Project PI: Dr Ajay Batish)
Govt. of India
Rs 125 Lacs
(U.S. $ 192310/-)
Representative of Mechanical Engineering Department for Project proposal preparation and execution.
(Project PI: Dr. S. K. Mohapatra)
MODROB Project for development of Automobile Engineering Lab.
April 2006 to March 2008
Rs 10.00 Lacs
Publications and other Research Outputs
- SCI Papers : 11
- Non-SCI : 04
- International Conference Papers : 04
- National Conference Papers : 05
- Course Materials/ Monographs : 02
- ME Thesis Guided : 35
- Indian Patents Applied : 02
SCI Journals Publications
- Sandeep Kumar Sharma, Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “A multipoint tool positioning method for five-axis machining in the region of two intersecting tensor product Bézier surfaces”, International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, Elsevier, Vol 142, pp. 42–53, April 2019, Impact Factor: 5.106, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2019.04.007
- Sandeep Kumar Sharma, Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “A method for generating multiple solutions for multipoint five-axis tool positioning”, Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer-Verlag London, Vol 100, pp. 2509–2520, 2019, Impact factor: 2.601, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-018-2871-3
- Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “Drop and Tilt Method of 5Axis Tool Positioning for Tensor Product Surfaces”, Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer-Verlag London, Accepted and published online on 9th May 2017, Impact factor: 2.209, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-0548-y
- Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Ajay Batish, Stephen Mann, “The Edge-Torus Tangency Problem in Multipoint Machining of Triangulated Surface Models”, Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Springer-Verlag London, vol. 82(9), pp. 1959-1972, February 2016, Impact factor: 2.209, DOI 10.1007/s00170-015-7532-1
- Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Ajay Batish, Stephen Mann, “Numeric Implementation of Drop and Tilt Method of 5-Axis Tool Positioning for Machining of STL surfaces”, Int. Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (IJAMT), Springer-Verlag London, vol. 78(9), pp. 1677-1690, June 2015, Impact factor: 2.209, DOI 10.1007/s00170-014-6636-3
- Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Ajay Batish, Stephen Mann, “A multipoint method for 5-axis machining of triangulated surface models”, Computer-Aided Design, Elsevier, vol. 52, pp. 17-26, July 2014, Impact factor: 2.444, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cad.2014.02.008
- Praveen Kumar, Ajay Batish, Anirban Bhattacharya, R K Duvedi, “Effect of Process Parameters on Microhardness and Microstructure of Heat Affected Zone in Submerged Arc Welding”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Print ISSN: 0954-4054, Online ISSN: 2041-2975, vol. 225: 711, pp. 711-721, May 2011 Impact Factor: 0.281, DOI: 10.1243/09544054JEM2143
- R. K. Duvedi, Manpreet Singh, V. K. Jadon, “FEM Analysis for Different Configurations of Non-Recessed Hole-Entry Hybrid Journal Bearing for Non-Newtonian Lubricants”, Journal of Industrial Lubrication and Tribology, Emerald, U.K, ISSN: 0036-8792, vol. 59(6), pp. 266-277, October 2007, Impact factor: 0.316, DOI: 10.1108/00368790710820865
- R. K. Duvedi, H.C. Garg, V. K. Jadon, “Analysis of Hybrid Journal Bearings for non-Newtonian Lubricants”, Journal of Lubrication Science, Wiley Inter Science, ISSN: 1557-6833, vol. 18. issue 3, pp. 187-207, July/September 2006, Impact Factor: 1.019, DOI: 10.1002/ls.17
Non-SCI Journals Publications
- Sandeep Kumar Sharma, Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “Five-Axis Tool Positioning of a Toroidal End Mill Tool Near Common Edge Between Two Intersecting Surfaces”, Accepted for publication in Computer Aided Design and Applications, Taylor and Francis, London, UK, June 24-26, 2019, 75-79, DOI: https://doi.org/10.14733/cadconfP.2019.75-79
- 1. R K Duvedi, Rajiv, Sohan Lal, “CNC Machining of Reverse Engineered Pseudo-symmetric Sculptured Surface Models” Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 9(36), September 2016, pp. 1-17, DOI: 10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i36/101468
- 2. Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Ajay Batish, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “Scallop Height of 5-axis Machining of Large Triangles with a Flat End Mill”, Computer Aided Design and Applications, Taylor and Francis, London, UK, vol.12 (6), pp. 1-7, June 2015, DOI: 10.1080/16864360.2015.1033334
- 3. V. K. Jadon, Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, I.P.S. Ahuja, “Need to Re-orient the Mechanical Engineering Curriculum”, Journal of Indian Society of Technical Education, Kolkota, India, vol. 29(1), pp. 41-47, January 2006.
International Conferences Publications
- Sandeep Kumar Sharma, Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “Five-Axis Tool Positioning of a Toroidal End Mill Tool Near Common Edge Between Two Intersecting Surfaces”, Proceedings of International Computer Aided Design and Applications conference (CAD’19), Singapore, pp. 75-79, 24th to 26th June 2019, DOI: https://doi.org/10.14733/cadconfP.2019.75-79
- Sumit Sood, Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “3D representation and CNC machining of 2D digital images”, Procedia Manufacturing, Elsevier, Vol 26, pp. 10-20, 2018, Presented in 46th SME North American Manufacturing Research Conference (NAMRC-46) at Texas A&M University, College station, Texas, USA, 18th to 22nd June 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2018.07.001
- Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Sanjeev Bedi, Ajay Batish, Stephen Mann, “A method for simplifying edge-torus tangency in drop-tilt method for 5-axis machining of triangulated surfaces”, 4th International Symposium on NC Machining (CNCM 2015, http://cncm2015.ust.hk/index.html), at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Hong Kong, from 3-5 June 2015.
- Ravinder Kumar Duvedi, Ajay Batish, Sanjeev Bedi, Stephen Mann, “Scallop Height of 5-axis Machining of Large Triangles with a Flat End Mill”, Presented at 11th Annual International CAD conference, CAD-14, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Hong Kong, 23-26 June 2014.
- R. K. Duvedi, Rajiv, Sohan Lal, “CNC Machining of Reverse Engineered Pseudo-symmetric Sculptured Surface Models”, 3rd National Conference on Advancements in Simulation & Experimental Techniques in Mechanical Engineering (NCASEme-2016), Chandigarh University, Gharuan, Mohali, Punjab, 26-27 Feb, 2016 (Conference paper also published in Indian Journal of Science and technology, Scopus Indexed Journal)
- R. K. Duvedi, Paras Mohan Jasra, Ajay Batish, “Review of Developments in NC Tool Path Planning for Machining of Sculptured Surfaces”, Global Trends in Mechanical Engineering, at Mech. Engg. Deptt, Rayat & Bahra Institute of Engg. & and Bio Tech, Mohali, Punjab, vol. 2, pp. 301-324, April 2010
- R. K. Duvedi, V. K. Jadon, Navdeep Kumar Jindal, N K Rana, “Approximate Thermal Analysis For Hydrodynamic Journal Bearing”, National Conference on Recent trends in Mechanical Engineering , NCME-2006, at MED, TIET, Patiala, 10-11 November 2006.
- N. K. Rana, S. R. Prabhakar, V K. Jadon, R. K. Duvedi, “Abradable Thermal Spray Coating – A Review”, National Conference on Recent trends in Mechanical Engineering , NCME-2006, at MED, TIET, Patiala, 10-11 November 2006
- R. K. Duvedi, H. C. Garg, V. K. Jadon, Balkar Singh, “Computer Aided Steady State FEM Analysis of Hybrid Journal Bearing operating with Non-Newtonian Lubricants”, Conference on Computer Aided Design and Analysis CCADM-2005, at MED, TIET, Patiala, 8-9 April 2005.
Course Materials/ Monographs Written
- R. K. Duvedi, Anirban Bhattarcharaya, “Robotics”, Department of Distance Education, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala.
- R. K. Duvedi, Anil Vashsist, “Computer Programming and IT”, Department of Distance Education, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala, 2006.
M.E./M.Tech. Thesis Supervision
Awards and Honours
Description of Research Interests
The main highlights of the research work accomplished are:
- Determination of Tool Deflection Compensation for Finish Machining of T6061 Aluminum Alloy in 3-axis CNC Vertical Milling Operation using Ball End Milling Tool. 2016
- Effect of tool radius and iso-parametric discretization of triangulated NURBS surfaces on surface finish in 3-axis vertical finish machining using ball end mill. 2016
- Study of relationship of mechanical properties of Indian wood species with cutting forces and surface finish in slot milling using a high speed 3-axis vertical CNC router system. 2016
- Study of effect of machining parameters on surface finish and noise patterns for machining of EN-19 steel with PVD TiN coated Al2O3-TiCN mixed ceramic inserts in CNC turning operation 2016
- Effect of cutting parameters on surface finish and noise patterns for machining of EN-24 steel with TiAlN coated Tungsten Carbide inserts in 3-axis vertical end milling operation 2016
- Efficient NC Toolpath Generation for 3-axis Machining of 3-Dimensional Freeform Faceted Surfaces Developed from Digital Images 2015
- Design of Automotive Sun Visor System 2015
- A Methodology for Simulation and Verification of Tool Path Data for 3-Axis and 5-Axis CNC Machining 2014
- Automatic NC Toolpath Generation for 3D Sculptured Features Extracted from 2D Image 2014
- Controlled Scallop Height Tool Path Generation for 3-Axis Vertical CNC Machining of STL Surfaces 2014
- Structural Design of 3-Axis CNC Machine Tool for Wood Carving 2014
- Methodology for Design and Selection of Components of 3-Axis Granite Carving Machine Tool 2014
- An approach for web-enabled client based macros for 3-dimensonal designing and toolpath generation for artistic features 2013
- Computer aided NC tool path planning for 3-axis vertical milling using conical tool 2013
- Ranking of wood species for automated ornamental carving on CNC router using MADM approach 2013
- Generalized Tool path planning approach for finish machining for a 3-axis vertical milling 2012
- Fabrication and Design evaluation using CAE tools for a 3-axis vertical milling machine for sculptured surface machining 2012
- Development of Visual Interface and Hardware logic for open Architecture NC controller for 3-axes simultaneous interpolation 2012
- Development of an Open Architecture Controller for Vertical 3-Axis Milling Machine 2011
- Simulated Topographic Error Prediction For 3-Axis Milling 2011
- Real time graphical display and error reporting of feedback on a 3-axis lathe mill 2011
- Development of MACRO for 3D machinable parametric freeform surfaces 2011
- Linear Analysis for Stability Characteristics of Flexibly Supported Finite Hydrodynamic Journal Bearing Lubricated with Micropolar Fluids. 2010
- Fractional factorial analysis and empirical modeling of cardiopulmonary responses during lifting operations 2009
- Empirical modeling for a submerged arc welding process for predicting the weld bead geometry and microstructure 2009
- Generalized tool path generation algorithm for sculptured pseudo-symmetric surface machining 2009
- Customization of CAD modeling software using parametric macros for design of machinable artistic surface patterns 2009
- Tool path planning for 3-axis NC-milling lathe and 3-axis NC-vertical milling for sculptured surfaces machining using triangular mesh offset 2009
- Optimization of the Design for Speed Reduction Unit in Lathe Machine 2007
- FEM Analysis of the Plain Hydrodynamic Journal Bearings for Peizo-Visco Lubrication 2007
- Development of an Automation system for material handling system in gear balancing machine in Punjab Tractors Limited, Mohali, Punjab, India 2007
- Stress Analysis of Electric Discharge Machining 2007
- Approximate Thermal Analysis of Plain Hydrodynamic Journal Bearing 2006
- Thermal Modeling and Analysis of Carbide Tool Using FEM 2005
- Study of Different Configurations of non-recessed hole-entry Hybrid Journal Bearings for non-Newtonian Lubricants using FEM 2005
- 1. Postdoctoral Fellowship from University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, January-December 2017.
- 2. Innovative PhD Project Award 2016 by Indian National Academy for Engineers (INAE), 8th December, 2016.
- 3. A research project sponsored by DSIR on “development of prototype of flat-bed 3-axis PC controlled vertical milling machine for sculptured surface machining for ornamental wood carving” undertaken during 2011-12 selected as one of best five projects of year 2011-12 by ERDC Ambala TUC of TePP of DSIR in year 2015.
- 4. Canadian Common Wealth Fellowship 2010-11 for Graduate Research Project on 5-axis Machining in Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering Department, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada from 15th December 2010 to 15th July 2011.1. Postdoctoral Fellowship from University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, January-December 2017.
- 1. Developed a methodology for 3-axis and 5-axis generalized tool positioning algorithm for machining of triangulated/STL surfaces and parametric tensor product. These developments has led to the evolution of a new multipoint tool positioning approach for 5-axis machining named as “Drop and Tilt Method”.
- 2. Development of a customized PC controlled 3-axis CNC router system for sculptured surface machining and ornamental carvings in wood. The developed CNC system included machine tool structure, hardware, PC-Machine interface software and toolpath software.
- 3. Algorithms/ macros for automation of ornamental 3D designs and toolpath planning using customized web based CAD applications.
- 4. Several projects for graduate students for development of inverse kinematics as well as mechanical design of multi-axis serial robotic arms.
- 5. Design and analysis of hybrid journal bearing for non-Newtonian lubrication using FEM.