Reaction Engineering and Catalysis, Mass Transfer, Petroleum Refining
Contact No.: +91-9878614010
Heterogeneous Reaction and Catalysis
Dr. Sanghamitra Barman is Associate Professor in the department of Chemical Engineering, at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, India. Dr. Barman joined Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering in 2008. She has studied Bachelor of Chemical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata and Masters of Chemical Engineering from the same institute. She was awarded PhD degree from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur in 2006. She has supervised 8 master’s student and 4 Ph.D student out of which 1 ph.D student was awarded Ph.D degree and another submitted his ph.D thesis, other 2 Ph.D students are undergoing research. She has 27 publications in international journal of repute.
Sponsored Projects (completed)
- Transalkylation of Di-isopropyl benzene over modified zeolite catalyst: A kinetic Study Rs 23.60 Lac, DST, 2013-2016.
- Applicatin of nano zeolite for the removal of novel contaminants from waste water, Rs.8.11 Lacs. UGC, 2013-2016
Chemical Technology, Mass Transfer I, Mass transfer II, Chemical Reaction Engineering-II, Advance separation Process, Chemical Reaction Engineering and Reactor analysis, Petroleum Technology, Fluid and Particle Mechanics.
Selected Publications :
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Efficient removal of bisphenol S from aqueous solution by synthesized nano-zeolite secony mobil-5, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 259(2018)184-194, (IF: 3.66)
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Efficient removal of bisphenol S from aqueous solution by synthesized nano-zeolite secony mobil-5, Separation Science and Technology, (IF: 1.25) 2018
- Thakur R, Barman S, R. K .Gupta, Kinetic investigation in transalkylation of 1,2,4 Trimethyl benzene with Toluene over rare earth metal modified large pore zeolite, Chemical Engineering Communication , 204, (2), 254-264, 2017 ( IF: 1.297)
- Thakur R, Barman S, R.k.Gupta, A comparative study of catalytic performance of rare earth metal modified beta zeolites for synthesis of Cymene, Chemical papers. DOI 10.1007/s11696-016-0071-x ( IF: 1.258), January 2017, 71(1),137-148
- Thakur R, Barman S, Halder G., ‘Surface modification of nanocrystalline zeolite X and its application as catalyst in synthesis of cumene in a packed bed flow reactor: A kinetic study’ International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering. DOI: 10.1515/ijcre-2017-0023, (IF.76), 2017
- Thakur R, Barman S, ‘A comparative study on catalytic performance of modified nanocrystalline and microcrystalline zeolite X for synthesis of cumene by transalkylation of 1,4 DIPB with benzene:A kinetic study, Kinetics and catalysis 57,5,592-601,2016. ( IF: 0.914)
- Goyal, N., Bulasara V.K., Barman S., Surface modification of synthesized Nano zeolite NaX with TEAOH for removal of Bisphenol A, Chemical Engineering Communications, 203(10),1374-1384, 2016 ( IF: 1.297)
- Ruchika T., Barman S.,Gupta R.K., Optimization of process parameters for transalkylation of toluene to xylene using response surface methodology, Particulate science and Technology.34(3) 332-340,2016, ( IF: 0.784)
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Adsorptive removal of Biochanin A , an endocrine disrupting compound from its aqueous solutiom by synthesized nanocrystalline zeolite Na. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(43) 2016. 20608-20618, (IF:1.272)
- Ruchika T., Barman S.,Gupta R.K., Synthesis of cumene over modified zeolite beta : A kinetic Study. Accepted for publication to Brazillian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 33(4), 957-967, 2016 (IF:1.104)
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Quaternary ammonium assisted removal and separation of genistein and bisphenol S from aqueous solution by nanozeolite NaY: Equilibrium, kinetic, and thermodynamic studies. Journal of Molecular Liquids,
- 224,1154-1162,2016 (IF: 3.648)
- Garg A, Mainrai M, Bulasara V.K, Barman S., Experimental Investigation on adsorption of Amido Black 10B dye onto zeolite synthesized from fly ash, Chemical Engineering Communications, 2015, 202:123–130( IF: 1.297)
- Barman, S, Thakur, R. Synthesis of xylene over zeolite catalyst, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology’ 21,2014,379-385(IF 0.568)
- Barman, S.; Pradhan, N. C.; Basu, J. K. Kinetics of Alkylation of Benzene with Isopropyl Alcohol Over Ce-exchanged NaX Zeolite. Ind. & Eng.chem.Res. 2005, 44,7313-7319 ( IF: 2.843)
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N. C; Basu, J. K. Alkylation of phenol with methanol over Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst’ Catal.Lett.2006, 111(1-2),67-73.( IF: 2.799)
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N.C; Acharya A., Pramanik, P., Kinetics of reductive isopropylation of benzene with acetone over nano copper chromite loaded H-mordenite catalyst’ Ind.& Eng.chem.Res. 2006, 45, 3481-3487( IF: 2.843)
- Barman, S.; Pradhan, N. C; Maity. S. K. Alkylation of Toluene with Isopropyl Alcohol catalyzed by Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst. Chem. Engg. J .2005, 114, 39-45( IF: 6.216)
- Banerjee S, Barman S, Halder G, Sorptive elucidation of rice husk ash derived synthetic zeolite towards,deionization of coalmine waste water: A comparative study, Groundwater for Sustainable Development 5 (2017) 137–151 ( Elsevier)
- Kumar K , Barman S, Halder G, Catalytic Performance of Fe Modified Zeolite Beta for Synthesis of Xylene, Journal of Catalyst and Catalysis, 4( 2) 2017
- Barman. S. Role of Solid Acid Catalyst in Isopropylation Reaction. Journal of Catalyst and Catalysis, 2015; 2(2): 19–26p.
- Dave S., Barman S. Optimization of process parameters in transalkylation of benzene over zeolite by response surface methodology, Emerging Trend in Chemical Engineering, 2014, 1(1): 22-30.
- Das S N, Barman S. Studies on removal of safranine-t and methyl orange Dyes from aqueous solution using nax zeolite synthesized from fly ash. International Journal of. Science,Environment and Technolohy. 2013,2(4), 735-74
- Sayal A. Bulasara V.K, Barman, S, ‘A study on synthesis of zeolite and removal of Amido Black Dye over Zeolite.’ Chemical and Process Engineering Research, 2012, 2, 54-64.
- Barman, S., Das S N, Thakur,R. Studies on removal of Safranine-T and Methyl Orange dyes from aqueous solution using zeolite synthesized from fly ash. Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, 2012, 54(4) 472-480.
- Barman, S, ‘Role of acid strength of zeolite catalyst on gas phase ethylation of benzene’. Journal of Applied Science, 2010.10:2602-2607
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N. C; Basu, J. K ‘Alkylation of benzene with ethyl alcohol over Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst’ Indian Chemical Engineer. 2006, 48(1), 10-17.(IIChE)
Publication in International Conference:
- Goyal N. Thakur R, Barman S., Synthesis of nano crystalline zeolite and its application to catalysis. Energy material and nano Technology meeting, Proceedings, 26-27, Dubai, 1-4th April, 2016
- Saini A, Barman S. Adsorption of Thionine Dye from its Aqueous Solution over Peanut Hull as a Low Cost Biosorbent. ICBB 2015,18th International Conference on Bioinformatics Istanbul, Turkey, May 21-22, International Journal of Bioengineering and Life Sciences Vol 2(5), 2015
- Barman S, ‘Application of nano zeolite for removal of phytoestrogen from waste water’ WCCE9 & APCChE , 2013 Proceedings, Technical Session: Adsorption, Paper no. Tho-T110B. Coex, Seoul, South Korea.
- Thakur R., Barman S, ‘Application of nano zeolite for removal of phytoestrogen from waste water’ WCCE9 & APCChE , 2013 Proceedings, Technical Session: Adsorption, Paper no. Tho-T110B. Coex, Seoul, South Korea.
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N. C ‘Role of acid strength of modified zeoloite over gas phase ethylation of benzene.’ presented on 14th August 2009 in SOMCHE-ICCBPE-2009,University of Malysia, Sabah.pp. 51-55
- Barman, S.; Pradhan, N. C.; Acharya, A. and Pramanik, P.; Kinetics of Isopropylation of Benzene with Acetone over Nano-CuCr2O4/H-Mordenite; 19th Canadian Symposium on Catalysis, Saskatoon, Canada, May 14-17, 2006, p118
Publication in National Conference: 15
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions:
- MHRD Scholarship(GATE) for M.E, 2000
- Senior Research fellowship from CSIR, 2001
- MHRD fellowship from 2003
Membership of Expert Committees/Statutory Bodies
- Life member, IIChE
- Associate member, Americal Chemical Society (ACS)
List of Books/Course Materials/Conference Proceedings
Wrote course material, ‘Chemical Process Principles’ of Institution of Engineers. (In Press)
Description of Research Interests
Dr. Sanghamitra Barman is a Chemical Engineer with a B.Tech degree from Jadavpur University, M.Tech from Jadavpur institute and PhD from IIT Kharagpur, India. Her area of specialization is Reaction Engineering and Catalysis. She has been working in the area of catalysis for more than 15 years. At present her present research interest is in the area of advanced oxidation process and waste water treatment.