Reaction Engineering and Catalysis, Mass Transfer, Petroleum Refining
Dr. Sanghamitra Barman is Associate Professor in the department of Chemical Engineering, at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala, Punjab, India. Dr. Barman joined Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering in February, 2008. She has studied Bachelor of Chemical Engineering from Jadavpur University, Kolkata and Masters of Chemical Engineering from the same institute. She was awarded PhD degree from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur in 2006. She has supervised 10 master’s students and 4 Ph.D students out of which 2 Ph.D students were awarded Ph.D degree, others are persuing ph.D. Her research interests include environmentally benign heterogeneous catalysis in Petrochemical and Refinery catalytic processes, Catalyst design, Parametric study, Kinetics and Modeling of heterogeneous reactions. She has 34 publications in international journals of repute.
- Ph.D. (IIT Kharagpur in Chemical Engineering )
- M. Tech in in Chemical Engineering 1st class
- B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering 1st t class
- Higher Secondary, 1st division
- Secondary, 1st division
Experience: Total Teaching Experience 13 years
- January 2006; December 2007: Lecturer, Chemical Engineering Department, Calcutta Institute of Technology, WBUT.
- February 2008 ; May 2009: Lecturer , Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar University
- May 2009; July 2015: Assistant Professor , Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar University
- July 2015; till date : Associate Professor , Chemical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Mass Transfer I
- Mass transfer II
- Chemical Reaction Engineering-II
- Advance Separation Process
- Chemical Reactor Analysis
- Petroleum Refinning
- Fluid and Particle Mechanics
- Heterogeneous Reaction and Catalysis
- Advance photo-oxidation
- Adsorptive separation
- Waste water treatment
Transalkylation of Di-isopropyl benzene over modified zeolite catalyst: A kinetic Study Rs 23.60 Lac, Department of science and Technology (2013-2016)
- Synthesis of cumene by transalkylation of 1,4 DIPB with benzene was studied over cerium modified nano crystalline zeolite X. A fixed bed plug flow reactor was used to study the gas phase reaction. Nano crystalline zeolite X was synthesized and characterized by XRD, FTIR. Transalkylation of DIPB with benzene results 27.12 % yield of cumene over cerium modified nano X zeolite at temperature 553K, benzene/1, 4 DIPB mole ratio of 7.5 and space time-10.54 kg h/kmol. Reduction of crystal size increases surface area for reaction and thereby increases cumene yield
Applicatin of nano zeolite for the removal of novel contaminants from waste water, Rs.8.11 Lacs. University Grant Commission (2013-2016) .
- Five different types of nano-zeolites (NaA, NaX, NaY, beta and ZSM-5) were synthesized, characterized and then employed for the effective removal of these emerging endocrine disruptor compounds from aqueous phase. The batch adsorption process was used to study various parameters such as pH (2-12), temperature (20-55°C), adsorbent dose (0.1-2 g/L), stirring speed (50-300 rpm), contact time (15-420 min) and initial adsorbate concentration (1-30 mg/L) for endocrine disrupting compounds from aqueous phase by nano-zeolites. Solution pH and initial adsorbate concentration had an important impact on EDCs adsorption onto prepared nano-zeolites with optimal removal (90–95%)
- Aanchal, Barman S, Basu S., Adsorptive Removal of Fipronil from its Aqueous Solution by Modified Zeolite HZSM-5: Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic Study. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 283 (2019): 867–878, Impact Factor 4.51 li>
- Saharan, R., Barman, S., Halder, G., Synthesis of Ethyl Phenol Over Modified HZSM-5 Catalyst in a Fixed Bed Reactor, International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, 17(7) (2019) DOI: 10.1515/ijcre-2018-0224, Impact Factor, 0.908 li>
- Goyal, N., Barman S., Bulasara V.K., Tailoring of nanozeolite NaX for enhanced removal of a phytoestrogen from its aqueous solutions, Separation Science and Technology, 54(2) (2019): 224-232, Impact Factor,1.2 li>
- Banerjee, S., Kamila, B., Barman, S.., Mondal, T., Halder, G., Interlining Cr (VI) remediation mechanism by a novel bacterium Pseudomonas brenneri isolated from coalmine wastewater, Journal of Environmental Management, 233 (2019) : 271–282, Impact Factor, 4.865 li>
- Banerjee, S.,Barman,S., Halder, G.,Elucidation of preferential elimination of Cr(VI) via bioinspired adsorbents: A comparative assessment, Environmental Earth Sciences. 78(121) (2019): 1-22, Impact Factor, 1.871
- Mukherjee, Barman,S., Halder, G., Optimizing acrylonitrile grafting onto delignified rice straw via response surface methodology towards its flame retardancy and durability intensification. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 7(2019)102923. Scopus
- Raparia Y, Halder Gopinath, Barman, S., Catalytic performance of modified beta zeolite on synthesis of styrene and xylene: A kinetic study, Accepted in Indian Chemical Engineer, 2019
- Goyal,N., Bulasara, V.K., Barman,S., Removal of emerging contaminants daidzein and coumestrol from water by nanozeolite beta modified with tetrasubstituted ammonium cation, Journal of Hazardous Material, 344 (2018): 417–430, Impact Factor, 7.65 ]
- Goyal, N., Barman, S., Bulasara, V.K. Efficient removal of bisphenol S from aqueous solution by synthesized nano-zeolite secony mobil-5, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 259 (2018):184-194, Impact Factor, 4.18
- Goyal, N., Barman, S., Bulasara, V.K., Tailoring of nanozeolite NaX for enhanced removal of a phytoestrogen from its aqueous solutions, Separation Science and Technology, (2018) doi.org/10.1080/01496395.2018.1428632, Impact Factor,1.3
- Mukherjee S, Barman S, Halder G, Fluoride uptake by zeolite NaA synthesized from rice husk: Isotherm, kinetics, thermodynamics and cost estimation, Groundwater for Sustainable Development, 7 (2018) 39–47(Elsevier), Scopus
- Banerjee S, Barman S, Halder G, Sorptive elucidation of rice husk ash derived synthetic zeolite towards deionization of coalmine waste water: A comparative study, Groundwater for Sustainable Development 5 (2017) 137–151 (Elsevier),Scopus
- Thakur,R., Barman, S., Raj K. Gupta, A comparative study of catalytic performance of rare earth metal modified beta zeolites for synthesis of Cymene, Chemical papers. 71(1)(2017): 137-148, Impact Factor, 0.963
- Thakur, R., Barman, S., Raj K. Gupta, Kinetic investigation in transalkylation of 1,2,4 Trimethyl benzene with Toluene over rare earth metal modified large pore zeolite, Chemical Engineering Communication , 204, (2)(2017) 254-264,Impact Factor,1.2
- Thakur,R., Barman, S., Halder, G., Surface modification of nanocrystalline zeolite X and its application as catalyst in synthesis of cumene in a packed bed flow reactor: A kinetic study’ International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering. DOI: 10.1515/ijcre-2017-0023, (2017) Impact Factor,0.963
- Thakur,R., Barman, S., A comparative study on catalytic performance of modified nanocrystalline and microcrystalline zeolite X for synthesis of cumene by transalkylation of 1,4 DIPB with benzene:A kinetic study, Kinetics and catalysis 57(5)(2016):592-601. Impact Factor,0.868
- Goyal, N., Barman, S., Bulasara, V.K., Surface modification of synthesized Nano zeolite NaX with TEAOH for removal of Bisphenol A, Chemical Engineering Communications, 203(10)( 2016):1374-1384, Impact Factor,1.2
- Thakur,R., Barman, S., Raj K. Gupta, Gupta Optimization of process parameters for transalkylation of toluene to xylene using response surface methodology, Particulate science and Technology.34(3)( 2016):332-340, , Impact Factor,1.081
- Goyal, N., Barman, S., Bulasara, V.K., Adsorptive removal of Biochanin A , an endocrine disrupting compound from its aqueous solutiom by synthesized nanocrystalline zeolite Na. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57.43(2016): 20608-20618, Impact Factor,1.173
- Thakur,R., Barman, S., Raj K. Gupta, Synthesis of cumene over modified zeolite beta : A kinetic Study. Accepted for publication to Brazillian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 33.4(2016): 957-967, Impact Factor, 0.925
- Goyal, N., Barman, S., Bulasara, V.K., Quaternary ammonium assisted removal and separation of genistein and bisphenol S from aqueous solution by nanozeolite NaY: Equilibrium, kinetic, and thermodynamic studies. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 224 (2016): 1154-1162, Impact Factor, 7.8
- Garg, A.,Mainrai M, Bulasara,V.K., Barman,S., Experimental investigation on adsorption of Amido Black 10B dye onto zeolite synthesized from fly ash, Chemical Engineering Communications, 202(2015):123–130, Impact Factor,1.2
- Thakur,R., Barman, S., Raj K. Gupta, Synthesis of xylene over zeolite catalyst, Indian Journal of Chemical Technology 21(2014): 379-385, Impact Factor, 0.348.
- Barman S., Pradhan, N.C., Basu, Basu J.K., Alkylation of phenol with methanol over Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst. Catal.Lett., 111.1-2 (2006): 67-73. Impact Factor, 2.37
- Barman S., Pradhan, N.C., Basu, Basu J.K., Amitava.A., Kinetics of reductive isopropylation of benzene with acetone over nano copper chromite loaded H-mordenite catalyst’ Ind.& Eng.chem.Res. 45(2006):3481-3487, Impact Factor, 3.141
- Barman S., Pradhan, N.C., Maity,S. K Alkylation of Toluene with Isopropyl Alcohol catalyzed by Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst. Chem. Engg. J . 114 (2005) 39-45, Impact Factor, 8.355
- Barman S., Pradhan, N.C., Maity,S., Alkylation of benzene with ethyl alcohol over Ce exchanged 13X zeolite catalyst. Indian Chemical Engineer. 48(1)(2006) 10-17. Scopus
- Kumar,K., Barman,S., Gopinath Halder,G., Catalytic Performance of Fe Modified Zeolite Beta for Synthesis of Xylene, Journal of Catalyst and Catalysis, 4(2) 2017
- Barman,S., Role of Solid Acid Catalyst in Isopropylation Reaction. Journal of Catalyst and Catalysis, 2.2(2015):19–26
- Dave.,S., Barman,S., Optimization of process parameters in transalkylation of benzene over zeolite by response surface methodology, Emerging Trend in Chemical Engineering, 1.1(2014): 22-30.
- Barman, S., Das, S.N. Studies on removal of safranine-t and methyl orange Dyes from aqueous solution using NaX zeolite synthesized from fly ash. International Journal of Science, Environment and Technology. 2(4) (2013): 735-74, Scopus
- Sayal, A.,Bulasara, V.K., Barman, S., A study on synthesis of zeolite and removal of Amido Black Dye over Zeolite. Chemical and Process Engineering Research, 2(2012) 2: 54-64
- Barman, S., Das, S.N. Thakur,R., Studies on removal of Safranine-T and Methyl Orange dyes from aqueous solution using zeolite synthesized from fly ash. Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, 54.4(2012): 472-480, Scopus
- Barman, S., Role of acid strength of zeolite catalyst on gas phase ethylation of benzene. Journal of Applied Science, 10(2010): 2602-2607, Scopus
- Goyal N. Thakur R, Barman S., Synthesis of nano crystalline zeolite and its application to catalysis. Energy material and nano Technology meeting, Proceedings, 26-27, Dubai, 1-4th April, 2016, organized by OAHOST
- Saini A, Barman S. Adsorption of Thionine Dye from its Aqueous Solution over Peanut Hull as a Low Cost Biosorbent. ICBB 2015, 18th International Conference on Bioinformatics Istanbul, Turkey, May 21-22, International Journal of Bioengineering and Life Sciences Vol 2(5), 2015
- Barman S, Application of nano zeolite for removal of phytoestrogen from waste water’ WCCE9 & APCChE , 2013 Proceedings, Technical Session: Adsorption, Paper no. Tho-T110B. Coex, Seoul, South Korea.
- Thakur R., Barman S, Application of nano zeolite for removal of phytoestrogen from waste water’ WCCE9 & APCChE , 2013 Proceedings, Technical Session: Adsorption, Paper no. Tho-T110B. Coex, Seoul, South Korea.
- Barman, S; Pradhan, N. C., Role of acid strength of modified zeoloite over gas phase ethylation of benzene.’ presented on 14th August 2009 in SOMCHE-ICCBPE-2009,University of Malysia, Sabah.pp. 51-55Organized by IchemE
- Barman, S.; Pradhan, N. C.; Acharya, A. and Pramanik, P, Kinetics of Isopropylation of Benzene with Acetone over Nano-CuCr2O4/H-Mordenite; 19th Canadian Symposium on Catalysis, Saskatoon, Canada, May 14-17, 2006, p118
- P. Goutan, S. Barman, synthesis of styrene and xylene on K modified beta zeolite: A kinetic study presented in the 71th Annual Session of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON-2018, National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, Punjab, India, 27–30th December 2018, Oral Session II
- Aanchal, S. Barman, Basu S, Surface modification of H-ZSM5 zeolite for removal of endocrine disruptor pesticides from waste water. Presented in the 71 Annual Session of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON-2018, National Institute of Technology Durgapur, Punjab, India, 27–30th December 2018, Oral Session II.
- N. Goyal, V.K. Bulasara, S. Barman, Tailoring of nanozeolite NaX without addition of structure directing agent for the enhanced removal of phytoestrogen from aqueous solution”, Presented in the International Conference on Nanotechnology Applications: Chemical, Energy and Environment, NACEE-2017, Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT) Surat, India, during 22-23rd March, 2017. Oral Session I.
- N. Goyal, S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Adsorptive removal of nonylphenol (an endocrine disruptor compound) from aqueous phase by zeolite synthesized from coal fly ash”, Presented in the 68th Annual Session of the Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON-2015, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, Guwahati, Assam, India, 27–30th December 2015, Oral Session II, Paper ID: WW 074.
- N. Goyal, S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Synthesis of nano zeolite and its removal for EDC’s from waste water. International conference on Recent Advances in nano Science and Technology (RAINSAT-2015) Chennai. July 8th -10th 2015.
- R, Thakur, S. Barman, Synthesis of nano X and its application for transalkylation. Synthesis of nano zeolite and its removal for EDC’s from waste water. International conference on Recent Advances in nano Science and Technology (RAINSAT-2015) Chennai. July 8th -10th 2015.
- N. Goyal, S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Synthesis of Cumene by Transalkylation over Large Pore Zeolite. CHEMCON -2014, Punjab University, Chandigarh Dec 27th -Dec 30th , 2014.
- R, Thakur, S. Barman, A comparative study of bioadsorbents for the removal of thionine dye from synthetic waste water. CHEMCON -2014, Punjab University, Chandigarh Dec 27th -Dec 30th ,2014.
- S. Barman, V.K. Bulasara, Removal of Amido Black 10B dye from its aqueous solution by adsorption with zeolite synthesized from fly ash. 65th Annual Session of the Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, CHEMCON–2012, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, India, 27th–30th December 2012,
- S. Barman, A. Garg, Removal of Amido Black 10B dye from its aqueous solution by adsorption with zeolite synthesized from fly ash. 65th Annual Session of the Indian Chemical Engineering Congress, CHEMCON–2012, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, India, 27th–30th December 2012
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- MHRD Scholarship (GATE) for M.E, 2000
- Senior Research fellowship from CSIR, 2001
- MHRD fellowship from 2003
Message to Students & Community
Never lose hope, until and unless you are not getting success.