Manufacturing process characterisation, automation and optimisation.
Dr. Satish Kumar Sharma is currently working as Assistant Professor in department of Mechanical Engineering at Thapar University, Patiala. His teaching experience is of more than seven years including Teaching cum Research Fellow (TRF) at Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology (NSIT) New Delhi, Assistant Professor at Panipat Institute of Engineering and Technology Panipat and Lecturer at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (TIET) Patiala. He has carried out his PhD research work on experimental investigation of welding of high strength low alloy oil and gas pipeline steels and observation of metal transfer behaviour of welding arc during submerged arc welding.
- Ph.D. (NSIT Delhi) in Manufacturing Processes & Automation Engineering specialization in Welding
- M. Tech in Manufacturing Processes, MMU Mullana, Ambala, First class (8.7 CGPA)
- B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering, KUK Kurukshetra, First class (72.6%)
Experience: Total Teaching Experience 7 years 3 month
- Oct 2018 – Present: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala.
- August 2017–Sept 2018: Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering Department, Thapar University, Patiala, Punjab
- Feb 2017 – July 2017: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Panipat Institute of Engg & Tech, Panipat.
- Mar 2013 – Jan 2017: Teaching cum Research Fellow, Division of MPAE, NSIT New Delhi (University of Delhi.
- Sept 2011 – Feb 2013: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Panipat Institute of Engg & Tech, Panipat
- Non-Conventional and Conventional Manufacturing Processes
- Machining Science
- Computer Aided Manufacturing & Automation
- Material Science
- Production Engineering & Technology
- Welding & Joining
- Non-Conventional and Conventional Manufacturing
- Manufacturing Automation
- Process Characterization & Optimization
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, Ratnesh Kumar, Modeling and optimization of HAZ characteristics for submerged arc welded high strength pipeline steel, Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals (Springer), 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-018-1495-5) (IF 0.91)
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, Ratnesh Kumar, Effect of heat-input and cooling-time on bead characteristics in SAW, Materials & Manufacturing Processes, Taylor & Francis 2018 (https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2018.1532578). (IF 2.7)
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, Arc characterization study for submerged arc welding of HSLA (API X80) steel, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology (Springer), Volume 31, Issue 3, Pages 1383-1390, 2017. ISSN 1976-3824. (IF 1.13)
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, A review on welding of high strength oil and gas pipeline steels, Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering (Elsevier), Volume 38, Pages 203-217, 2017. ISSN 1875-5100. (IF 2.9)
- Himanshu Payal, Sachin Maheshwari, Pushpendra S Bharti, Satish Kumar Sharma, Multi-objective optimisation of electrical discharge machining for Inconel 825 using Taguchi-fuzzy approach, International Journal of Information Technology (Springer), doi.org/10.1007/s41870-018-0102-7. Pages 1-9, 2018. ISSN: 2511-2112.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, “Multi-objective optimization of HAZ characteristics for submerged arc welding of micro-alloyed high-strength pipeline steel using GRA-PCA approach" Journal for Manufacturing Science & Production, (De-Gruyter), Volume 16, Issue 4, Pages 263–271, 2016. ISSN 2191-0375. (Emerging source citation index)
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sachin Maheshwari, Sandeep Rathee “Multi-objective optimization of bead geometry for submerged arc welding of API X80 pipeline steel using RSM-fuzzy approach", Journal for Manufacturing Science and Production, (De-Gruyter), Volume 16, Issue 3, Pages 141–151, 2016. ISSN 2191-0375. (Emerging source citation index)
- Sandeep Rathee, Sachin Maheshwari, A.N. Siddiquee and Manu Srivastava, Satish Kumar Sharma, Process parameters optimization for enhanced microhardness of AA 6063/ SiC surface composites fabricated via Friction Stir Processing (FSP). Materials Today: Proceedings (Elsevier), Volume 3, Issue 10, Part B, 2016, Pages 4151–4156. (Scopus indexed).
- Manu Srivastava, Sachin Maheshwari,T.K. Kundra, Sandeep Rathee, Satish Kumar Sharma, “Virtual Design, Modelling and Analysis of Functionally graded materials by Fused Deposition Modeling", Materials Today: Proceedings (Elsevier), Volume 3, Issue 10, Part B, Pages 3660-3665, 2016. (Scopus indexed).
- Brijpal Singh, Z.A. Khan, Arshad N. Siddiquee, Sachin Maheshwari, Satish Kumar Sharma, “Effect of flux composition on tensile strength and percentage elongation of welds, Archives of Mechanical Engineering, (De-Gruyter), Vol. 63, issue 3, pages 337-354, 2016, (Scopus indexed).
- Aditya Kumar, Sachin Maheshwari and Satish Kumar Sharma “Fuzzy logic optimization of weld properties for saw using silica based agglomerated flux", Procedia Computer Science (Elsevier), Vol. 57, pp. 1140-1148, 2015. (Scopus indexed).
- Aditya Kumar, Sachin Maheshwari and Satish Kumar Sharma “Optimization of vickers hardness and impact strength of silica based fluxes for submerged arc welding by Taguchi method" Materials Today: Proceedings, (Elsevier), Vol. 2, Issue 4-5, pp. 1092-1101, 2015. (Scopus indexed).
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Rahul Dev Gupta, Anish Kumar and Bhim Singh “Supplier issues for lean implementation", International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology, Vol.3, pp. 3900-3905, 2011.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, ‘Thermo-mechanical simulation study of HAZ in multipass submerged arc welding of HSLA steel’, in proceeding of International Conference on Advances in Materials & Processing: Challenges & Opportunities (AMPCO-2017), 30th Nov – 02nd Dec 2017, IIT Roorkee, India.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, \Experimental investigation of ductile to brittle transition behaviour of X80 HSLA steel", in proceedings of 25th International Conference on Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials (PFAM-XXV), January 22-25, 2017, held at University of Auckland, New Zealand.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwar, \Effects of process parameters on arc characteristics of submerged arc welding", in proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Production and Industrial Engineering (ICAPIE-2016), 9-10 December, 2016, DTU-Delhi, India. (ISBN: 978-93-85909-51-1), Page: 265-269.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwar, \Hydrogen embrittlement in welded strucutres of high strength pipeline steels", communicated in IVth International Conference on Production & Industrial Engineering (CPIE-2016), 19-21 December, 2016, NIT-Jalandhar, Punjab, India.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari, \A review on thermo-mechanical simulation studies for welding of high strength micro-alloyed pipeline steels", in Proceedings of 4th international conference Simulation & Processing of Steels (Simpro’16), February 10-12, 2016, SAIL Ranchi, India. (ISBN: 978-93-85919-86-2), Page: 540-551.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Sachin Maheshwari,\A review on failure of HSLA steel welds in oil and gas pipelines", in Proceedings of 23rd international conference Processing & fabrication of Advanced Materials (PFAM-XXIII), December 05-07, 2014, IIT Roorkee, India.(ISBN: 978-93-84588-18-2 (vol. 2)), Page: 1210-1215.
- Satish Kumar Sharma and Bhim singh and R.D. Gupta, \Significance of Supplier Management in Lean Implementation in proceeding of 2nd International Conference Production & Industrial Engineering (CPIE-2010), NIT Jalandhar on 03-05 Dec 2010, (ISBN 978-81-920453-0-6), Page: 1305-1310.
- Jitender Kundu, Nav Rattan Kaushik, Gyander Ghangas and Satish Kumar Sharma, “Experimental investigation of mechanical strength and temperature of friction stir welded joint” accepted through FLAME-2018, Lecture Notes of Mechanical Engineering. (Springer)
- Himanshu Payal, Satish Kumar Sharma, “Study of MRR and TWR in electric discharge machining of AISI D2 tool steel” accepted through FLAME-2018, Lecture Notes of Mechanical Engineering. (Springer)
- Satish Kumar Sharma, Sunil Dhull, Sanjay Kahira, Chapter \Productivity management", contributed in book titled "Case Studies in Management", MJP Publishers, Chennai. ISBN 978-81-8094-098-9. pp-275-291., 2011.
Membership of Professional Institutions, Associations, Societies
- Institution of engineers India (IEI) (Member Number: M-1526590)
- Indian Institute of Welding (IIW) (Member Number: DEL/M/R-11450/L)
- Society of Failure Analysis (SFA) (Member Number: FLM-SFA-0574)
Workshop, Summer School & FDP Conducted
- One week short term course on "Design of experiments & Advanced Optimization Techniques (DEAOT-2017)" at PIET Samalkha, Panipat from 10-14 July 2017.
- Two days engine overhauling workshop “STROKE-2K17” at PIET Samalkha, Panipat from 30-31March 2017.
Workshop, Summer School & FDP Attended
- Two AICTE/TEQIP/Govt of India sponsored FDP/workshop/summer school of duration two weeks.
- Seven AICTE/TEQIP sponsored FDP/workshop/summer schools of duration one week.
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- Sponsorship to visit University of Auckland, New Zealand to present research paper in PFAM-25
- Teaching-cum-Research Fellowship (TRF) 2013-2017 at Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, New Delhi, India.
- Qualified Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering (GATE-2013)
- Excellence Award: PIET management appreciated me for my services given in department of Mechanical Engineering
- Appreciation letters: From HOD-MED and Director PIET for successfully conducting SAEINDIA Engine Overhauling workshop and DEAOT-17 one week STC
Message to Students & Community
Learning comes through participation.
Start doing the small things, one day you will find yourself doing the impossible