Assistant Professor (DST-INSPIRE)
Diversity-oriented synthesis of N-heterocycles, Isocyanide chemistry, Carbene and nitrene insertion reactions, Development of biocatalyst for non-natural reactions, medicinal chemistry
Contact No.: +91-9540683404
Education and Training
||B.Sc., C.C.S. University, Meerut.
||M.Sc. (Organic Chemistry); C.C.S. University, Meerut
||Ph.D., CSIR-Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow/JNU, New Delhi.
||Post-Doctoral fellow, University of Rochester, NY, USA.
||Post-Doctoral fellow, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA.
- Assistant Professor (DST-INSPIRE) (December 2017 – Present)
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (Deemed to be a University), Patiala
- Post-Doctoral fellow (September 2016-September 2017)
Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA.
Area of research: Design and synthesis of novel kinase inhibitors.
- Post-Doctoral fellow, (December 2013-August 2016)
Department of Chemistry, University of Rochester, NY, USA.
Area of research: Development of biocatalyst for catalyzing non-natural reactions.
- Doctoral (Ph.D.) work (January 2009-November 2013)
CSIR-Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow/ Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi
Advisor: Dr. P.M.S. Chauhan
Title of thesis: Diversity-oriented synthesis of novel hetetrcycles as anti-infective agents
- M.Sc. (Biochemistry), SCBC, Thapar University:
- PBC-BCT: Biocatalyst (Dec 2017-present)
- M.Sc. (Chemistry), SCBC, Thapar University:
- PCA 205: Organic chemistry lab (December 2017-present)
- B.E./B.Tech., Thapar University:
- UCB 008: Applied Chemistry (Dec 2017-Present); Tutorials
List of Publications (SCI Journals):
- Highly diastereo- and enantioselective synthesis of trifluoromethyl-substituted cyclopropanes via myoglobin-catalyzed transfer of trifluoromethylcarbene, Antonio Tinoco, Viktoria Steck, Vikas Tyagi, and Rudi Fasan, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2017, 139, 5293-5296 (Impact Factor: 13.8).
- Gram-scale synthesis of chiral cyclopropane-containing drugs using engineered myoglobin catalysts with complementary stereoselectivity, Priyanka Bajaj, Gopeekrishnan Sreenilayam, Vikas Tyagi and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2016, 55, 16110-16114, (Impact Factor: 3.177), (Impact Factor: 11.9).
- Biocatalytic synthesis of allylic and allenyl sulfides via a myoglobin-catalyzed Doyle-Kirmse reaction, Vikas Tyagi, Gopeekrishnan Sreenilayam, Priyanka Bajaj, Antonio Tinoco and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2016, 55, 13562-13566 (Impact Factor: 11.9).
- Chemoenzymatic synthesis and antileukemic activity of novel C9- and C14-functionalized parthenolide analogs, Vikas Tyagi, Hanan Alwaseem, Kristen M. O’Dwyer, Jessica Ponder, Qi Ying Li a, Craig T. Jordan, and Rudi Fasan, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 2016, 24, 3876–3886, (Impact Factor: 2.8).
- Myoglobin-catalyzed olefination of aryl aldehydes, Vikas Tyagi, and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2016, 55, 2512–2516, (highlighted in Synform), (Impact Factor: 11.9).
- Intermolecular carbene S-H insertion catalysed by engineered myoglobin-based catalysts, Vikas Tyagi, Rachel B. Bonn, and Rudi Fasan, Chemical Science, 2015, 6, 2488-2494 (highlighted in Nature chemistry), (Impact Factor: 8.6).
- Highly diastereo- and enantioselective olefin cyclopropanation via engineered myoglobin-based catalysts Melanie Bordeaux*, Vikas Tyagi*, and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2015, 54, 1744-1748, (*authors have equal contribution) (highlighted as Journal cover page and in Synfacts) (Impact Factor: 11.9).
- Diversity-oriented reconstruction of primitive diketopiperazine-fused tetrahydro-b carboline ring systems via Pictet–Spengler/Ugi-4CR/deprotection-cyclization reactions, Irfan Khan, Shahnawaz Khan, Vikas Tyagi, Pradeep Singh Chouhan and Prem M. S. Chauhan, RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 10271, (Impact Factor: 3.8).
- A natural product inspired hybrid approach towards the synthesis of novel pentamidines based scaffolds as potential anti-parasitic agents, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, Rahul Shivahare, Khushboo Srivastava, Suman Gupta, Saqib Kidwai, Kumkum Srivastava, S. K. Puri and Prem M. S. Chauhana, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2013, 23, 291–296, (Impact Factor: 2.4)
- Facile synthesis of diverse isoindolinone derivatives via Ugi-4CR followed by Cu-catalyzed deamidative C(sp2)–C(sp3) coupling, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Tetrahedron Letter, 2013, 54, 1279-1284, (Impact Factor: 2.5).
- A simple and efficient microwave-assisted synthesis of substituted isoindolinone derivatives via ligand-free Pd-catalyzed tandem C-C/C-N coupling reaction, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Synlett, 2013, 24, 0645–0651, (Impact Factor: 2.3)
- Ugi 4-CR with tandem deprotection, cyclization and Pictet-Spengler reaction: A concise route to N-fused polycyclic indolediketopiperazine alkaloid analogue, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Synlett, 2013, 24, 1291-1297, (Impact Factor: 2.3).
- An expedient base mediated desulfitative dimethylamination, oxidation, and etherification of the 2-(methylthio)-1H-imidazole-5(4H)-one scaffolds using N, N-dimethylformamide and aliphatic alcohol,Shahnawaz Khan, Vikas Tyagi, Rohit Mahar, Vikas Bajpai, Brijesh Kumar and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Synthesis, 2013, 45, 2405-2412, (Impact Factor: 2.7).
- Skeletal Diverse Synthesis of N-Fused Polycyclic Heterocycles via the Sequence of Ugi- type MCR and CuI Catalyzed Coupling/Tandem Pictet-Spengler Reaction, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, Vikas Bajpai, Harsh M. Gauniyal, Brijesh Kumar and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2012, 77, 1414–1421, (Impact Factor: 4.6).
- A ligand free Pd-catalyzed cascade reaction: An access to the highly diverse Isoquinolin-(2H)-one derivatives using isocyanide and Ugi-4CR synthesize amide precursors, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, Archana Giri, Harsh M. Gauniyal, B. Sridhar and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Organic letter, 2012, 14, 3126-3139 (highlighted in Synfacts) (Impact Factor: 6.6).
- 2013: Poster: 19th ISCB International Conference on “Recent advances and current trends in chemical and biological science” held at MLSU, Udaipur, India,
- 2012: Poster:17th ISCB International Conference on “Expanding Horizones in Chemical and Biological Sciences: Innovations Crossroads” held at Solapur University, Solapur, India.
- 2011: Poster: 15th ISCB international conference on “Bridging gaps in Discovery and Development: Chemical and Biological science for affordable Health, Wellness and Sustainability” held at Department of Chemistry, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, India.
- 2010: Poster: 14th ISCB international conference on “Chemical Biology for Discovery: Perspective and Challenge” held at Central Drug Research Institute Lucknow, India.
- 2017: DST-inspire faculty.
- 2013: CDRI incentive award for excellent research work
- 2011: Senior research fellowships; Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi.
- 2009: Junior research fellowships; Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi.
Sponsored Research Projects:
- “Development of enzyme based catalyst for accessing non-natural activities”; DST-Inspire faculty’ Scheme, Rs. 35 Lakhs, 2017-2022.