Diversity-oriented synthesis of N-heterocycles, Isocyanide chemistry, Carbene and nitrene insertion reactions, Development of biocatalyst for non-natural reactions, medicinal chemistry
Area of Research: Development of highly green organic synthetic methodologies mainly using enzymes as catalyst, Synthesis of N-heterocycles through transition metal catalyzed isocyanide or carbene insertion reactions, immobilization of enzymes and their application in organic synthesis.
Education and Training:
- 2016-2017: Post-Doctoral fellow, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA.
- 2013-2016: Post-Doctoral fellow, University of Rochester, NY, USA.
- 2009-2013: Ph.D., CSIR-Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow/JNU, New Delhi.
- 2005-2007: M.Sc. (Organic Chemistry); C.C.S. University, Meerut
- 2002-2005: B.Sc., C.C.S. University, Meerut.
- Assistant Professor (December 2017 – Present)
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology (Deemed to be a University), Patiala, India
- Post-Doctoral fellow (September 2016-September 2017)
Eshelman School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA.
Area of research: Design and synthesis of novel kinase inhibitors.
- Post-Doctoral fellow, (December 2013-August 2016)
Department of Chemistry, University of Rochester, NY, USA.
Area of research: Development of biocatalyst for catalyzing non-natural reactions.
- PCY 403: Heterocyclic chemistry and natural products
- PCY 308: Organic structure analysis
- PCY 217: Advanced organic chemistry lab
- PBC 442: Biocatalysis
- UCB 008: Applied chemistry for undergraduate
List of Publications (SCI Journals):
- Publications from TIET, Patiala:
- Biocatalytic Aza‐Michael Addition of Aromatic Amines to Enone Using α‐Amylase in Water, Sunil Dutt, Vanshita Goel, Neha Garg, Diptiman Choudhury, Dibyendu Mallick, Vikas Tyagi*, Adv. Synth. Catal., 2020, 362, 858-866.
- Experimental and Computational Insights into the Water‐Mediated Decomposition of N‐Sulfonylhydrazones: A Catalyst‐Free Synthesis of γ‐Keto/Nitrile Sulfones, Shagun Goyal, Meenakshi Budhiraja, Debasish Mandal, Vikas Tyagi*, Asian J. Org. Chem., 2020, 9, 251-258.
- Base‐Mediated Reductive Coupling of Indole‐3‐tosylhydrazone with Thiols/Boronic Acids: Facile Synthesis of 3‐(phenylthio)methyl/benzyl Indole Derivatives, Imran Khan, Aanchal Sharma, Priya Kamboj, Banibrata Maity, Vikas Tyagi*, ChemistrySelect, 2020, 5, 591-600.
- CuI-catalyzed highly regioselective C-H functionalization of indoles using indole-3- tosylhydrazons as carbene precursor: An efficient synthesis of 3,3-bis(indolyl)methane derivatives, Priya kamboj, Sunil Dutt, Sourav Chakroborty, Vikas Tyagi*, Tetrahedron letter, 2019, 60, 151162.
- Temperature-controlled synthesis of N-acyl anthranilamides and quinazoline-4- ones via Pd- catalysed cascade consisting of isocyanide insertion, Irfan Khan, Jaybir Singh, Imran Khan Sunil Dutt, Shahnawaz Khan, Vikas Tyagi*, Arkivoc, 2019, 5, 279-291.
Publications from Postdoctoral work:
- Application of a MYC degradation screen identifies sensitivity to CDK9 inhibitors in KRAS- mutant pancreatic cancer, Devon R. Blake1, Angelina V. Vaseva, Richard G. Hodge, McKenzie P. Kline, Thomas S. K. Gilbert, Vikas Tyagi, Daowei Huang, Gabrielle C. Whiten, Jacob E. Larson, Xiaodong Wang, Kenneth H. Pearce, Laura E. Herring, Lee M. Graves, Stephen V. Frye, Michael J. Emanuele, Adrienne D. Cox, and Channing J. Der, Science Signaling, 2019, 12, 7259.
- Myoglobin-catalyzed C-H functionalization of unprotected indoles, David A. Vargas, Antonio Tinoco, Vikas Tyagi, and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ad., 2018, 57, 9911-9915.
- Use of Protein Kinase–Focused Compound Libraries for the Discovery of New Inositol Phosphate Kinase Inhibitors, Ana C. Puhl-Rubio, Michael A. Stashko, Huanchen Wang, P. Brian Hardy, Vikas Tyagi, Bing Li, Xiaodong Wang, Dmitri Kireev, Henning J. Jessen, Stephen V. Frye, Stephen B. Shears and Kenneth H. Pearce, SLAS Discovery, 2018, 1-7.
- Highly diastereo- and enantioselective synthesis of trifluoromethyl-substituted cyclopropanes via myoglobin-catalyzed transfer of trifluoromethylcarbene, Antonio Tinoco, Viktoria Steck, Vikas Tyagi, and Rudi Fasan, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2017, 139, 5293-5296.
- Gram-scale synthesis of chiral cyclopropane-containing drugs using engineered myoglobin catalysts with complementary stereoselectivity, Priyanka Bajaj, Gopeekrishnan Sreenilayam, Vikas Tyagi and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2016, 55, 16110-16114.
- Biocatalytic synthesis of allylic and allenyl sulfides via a myoglobin-catalyzed Doyle-Kirmse reaction, Vikas Tyagi, Gopeekrishnan Sreenilayam, Priyanka Bajaj, Antonio Tinoco and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2016, 55, 13562-13566
- Chemoenzymatic synthesis and antileukemic activity of novel C9- and C14-functionalized parthenolide analogs, Vikas Tyagi, Hanan Alwaseem, Kristen M. O’Dwyer, Jessica Ponder, Qi Ying Li a, Craig T. Jordan, and Rudi Fasan, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, 2016, 24, 3876–3886.
- Myoglobin-catalyzed olefination of aryl aldehydes, Vikas Tyagi, and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2016, 55, 2512–2516.
- Intermolecular carbene S-H insertion catalysed by engineered myoglobin-based catalysts, Vikas Tyagi, Rachel B. Bonn, and Rudi Fasan, Chemical Science, 2015, 6, 2488-2494.
- Highly diastereo- and enantioselective olefin cyclopropanation via engineered myoglobin- based catalysts Melanie Bordeaux*, Vikas Tyagi*, and Rudi Fasan, Angew. Chem. Int. ed., 2015, 54, 1744-1748.
Publications from Ph.D. research work:
- Diversity-oriented reconstruction of primitive diketopiperazine-fused tetrahydro-b carboline ring systems via Pictet–Spengler/Ugi-4CR/deprotection-cyclization reactions, Irfan Khan, Shahnawaz Khan, Vikas Tyagi, Pradeep Singh Chouhan and Prem M. S. Chauhan, RSC Advances, 2015, 5, 10271.
- A natural product inspired hybrid approach towards the synthesis of novel pentamidines based scaffolds as potential anti-parasitic agents, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, Rahul Shivahare, Khushboo Srivastava, Suman Gupta, Saqib Kidwai, Kumkum Srivastava, S. K. Puri and Prem M. S. Chauhana, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2013, 23, 291–295.
- Facile synthesis of diverse isoindolinone derivatives via Ugi-4CR followed by Cu-catalyzed deamidative C(sp2)–C(sp3) coupling, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Tetrahedron Letter, 2013, 54, 1279-1284.
- A simple and efficient microwave-assisted synthesis of substituted isoindolinone derivatives via ligand-free Pd-catalyzed tandem C-C/C-N coupling reaction, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Synlett, 2013, 24, 0645–0651.
- Ugi 4-CR with tandem deprotection, cyclization and Pictet-Spengler reaction: A concise route to N-fused polycyclic indolediketopiperazine alkaloid analogue, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Synlett, 2013, 24, 1291-1297.
- An expedient base mediated desulfitative dimethylamination, oxidation, and etherification of the 2-(methylthio)-1H-imidazole-5(4H)-one scaffolds using N, N-dimethylformamide and aliphatic alcohol,Shahnawaz Khan, Vikas Tyagi, Rohit Mahar, Vikas Bajpai, Brijesh Kumar and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Synthesis, 2013, 45, 2405-2412.
- Skeletal Diverse Synthesis of N-Fused Polycyclic Heterocycles via the Sequence of Ugi- type MCR and CuI Catalyzed Coupling/Tandem Pictet-Spengler Reaction, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, Vikas Bajpai, Harsh M. Gauniyal, Brijesh Kumar and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Journal of Organic Chemistry, 2012, 77, 1414–1421.
- A ligand free Pd-catalyzed cascade reaction: An access to the highly diverse Isoquinolin- (2H)-one derivatives using isocyanide and Ugi-4CR synthesize amide precursors, Vikas Tyagi, Shahnawaz Khan, Archana Giri, Harsh M. Gauniyal, B. Sridhar and Prem M. S. Chauhan, Organic letter, 2012, 14, 3126-3139.
2020: Delivered invited talk on “Development of novel green organic reactions” at 26th ISCB International Conference (ISCBC-NIPiCON-2020) Integrating Chemical, Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences for Innovations in Health Care, held on 22-24 January, 2020, at Nirma University, Ahmedabad, India.
2019: Delivered invited talk on “Myoglobin catalyzed cyclopropanation reactions”” at 25th ISCB International Conference (ISCBC-2019) Trends in Chemical and Biological Sciences: Impact on health and Environment, held on 12-14 January, 2019, at Hotel Golden Tulip, Lucknow, India.
- 2013: Poster: 19th ISCB International Conference on “Recent advances and current trends in chemical and biological science” held at MLSU, Udaipur, India,
- 2012: Poster: 17th ISCB International Conference on “Expanding Horizons in Chemical and Biological Sciences: Innovations Crossroads” held at Solapur University, Solapur, India.
- 2011: Poster: 15th ISCB international conference on “Bridging gaps in Discovery and Development: Chemical and Biological science for affordable Health, Wellness and Sustainability” held at Department of Chemistry, Saurashtra University, Rajkot, India.
- 2010: Poster: 14th ISCB international conference on “Chemical Biology for Discovery: Perspective and Challenge” held at Central Drug Research Institute Lucknow, India.
- 2020: ISCB-Young scientist award in Chemical Science
- 2017: DST-inspire faculty
- 2013: CDRI incentive award for excellent research work
- 2011: Senior research fellowships; Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi.
- 2009: Junior research fellowships; Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi.
Sponsored Research Projects:
- “Optimization of the myoglobin enzyme production and development of biocatalytic cyclopropanation process for the synthesis of pharmaceuticals precursors”; DBT-BIRAC (PACE), Rs 22 lakhs, 2020-2021.
- Development of enzyme based catalyst for accessing non-natural activities”; DST-Inspire faculty’ Scheme, Rs. 35 Lakhs, 2017- 2022.