•Ph. D., (January 2010 - February 2015) Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Ropar (CGPA: 9.35).
•B. Tech., (May 2003 - June 2007) Mechanical Engineering, Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Engineering College (77.16%, honours with distinction).
Experience: Total Experience - 1 year 2 months
•July 2015 – Present: Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala.
•July 2007 – September 2008: Lecturer, Mechanical Engineering Department, Desh Bhagat Engineering College, Mandi Gobindgarh.
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
- Strength of Materials
- Mechanical Vibrations
- Heat Transfer
- Solar Thermal
Refereed International Journal Publications
- Saroha, S., Mittal, T., Modi, P. J., Bhalla, V., Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., and Otanicar, T. P., "Theoretical analysis and testing of nanofluids-based solar photovoltaic/thermal (PV/T) hybrid collector", ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 137 (9), pp. 091015, May 2015.
- Hewakuruppu, Y. L., Taylor, R. A., Tyagi, H., Khullar, V., Otanicar, T. P., Coulombe, S., Hordy, N., “Limits of selectivity of direct volumetric solar absorption”, Solar Energy, Vol. 114, pp. 206-216, April 2015.
- Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Hordy, N., Otanicar, T. P., Hewakuruppu, Y., Modi, P., and Taylor, R. A., "Harvesting solar thermal energy through nanofluid-based volumetric absorption systems", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 77, pp. 377-384, Oct 2014.
- Gulati, R., Reddy, A., Khullar, V., Bhalla, V., Tyagi, H., Zhao, Y., Law, E., and Taylor, R. A., "Enhancing the efficiency of absorption refrigeration cycle by seeding nanoparticles directly in the working fluid", International Journal of Environmental Studies, Vol. 70(5), pp. 808-823, Oct 2013.
- Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Phelan, P. E., Otanicar, T. P., Singh, H., and Taylor, R. A., "Solar energy harvesting using nanofluids-based concentrating solar collector”, ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine, Vol. 3(3), p. 031003, Aug 2012.
- Khullar, V. and Tyagi, H., "A study on environmental impact of nanofluid-based concentrating solar water heating system", International Journal of Environmental Studies, Vol. 69(2), pp. 220-232, Apr 2012.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Mittal, T., Saroha, S., Bhalla, V., Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., and Otanicar, T. P., "Numerical study of solar photovoltaic/thermal (PV/T) hybrid collector using nanofluids", Paper No. MNHMT2013-22090, ASME 2013 4th Micro/Nanoscale Heat & Mass Transfer International Conference, Hong Kong, China, Dec. 11-14, 2013.
- Vishwakarma, V., Singhal, N., Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Taylor, R. A., Otanicar, T. P., and Jain, A., "Space cooling using the concept of nanofluids-based direct absorption solar collectors", Paper No. IMECE2012-87726, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Houston, Texas, USA, Nov. 9-15, 2012.
- Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., Phelan, P. E., Otanicar, T. P., Singh, H., and Taylor, R. A., "Solar energy harvesting using nanofluids-based concentrating solar collector”, Paper No. MNHMT2012-75329, ASME 2012 3rd Micro/Nanoscale Heat and Mass Transfer International Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Mar. 3-6, 2012.
- Khullar, V. and Tyagi, H., "Enhancing optical efficiency of a linear parabolic solar collector through nanofluids", Optics: Phenomena, Materials, Devices, and Characterization: OPTICS 2011: International Conference on Light, held at NIT Calicut, Calicut, India, May 23-25, 2011. Published in AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1391(1), pp. 353-355, Oct 2011.
- Khullar, V., Tyagi, H., and Singh, H., "Heat transfer analysis of nanofluid-based linear parabolic solar collector”, Paper No. ISHMT-IND-17-038, 21st National and 10th ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, IIT Madras, Chennai, India, Dec. 27-30, 2011.
- Soni, S., Tyagi, H., Khullar, V., and Kumar, A., "Role of Blood Flow and Thermal Response of a Cancerous Tissue During Hyperthermia”, Paper No. FMFP2010-153, 37th National & 4th International Conference on Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Power, IIT Madras, Chennai, India, December 16-18, 2010.
- Khullar, V., and Tyagi, H., "Application of nanofluids as the working fluid in concentrating parabolic solar collectors”, Paper No. FMFP2010-179, 37th National and 4th International Conference on Fluid Mechanics and Fluid Power, IIT Madras, Chennai, India, Dec. 16-18, 2010.
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions:
- Actively organized and participated in Indo-US Workshop on Recent Advances in Micro/Nanoscale Heat Transfer and Applications in Clean Energy Technologies during Dec 21-22, 2013 at IIT Ropar.
- Competitively selected (ranked in the top 15% of the applicants for this program) to visit University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia as fellow to participate in the Sustainable Energy Fellowship Workshop & Collaborative Joint Projects.
- Selected for attending the 2011 Summer School of the Efficient Fossil Energy Technologies, Engineering Doctorate (EngD) Centre, jointly organized by IIT Guwahati, India and University of Nottingham, UK during 4th to 10th July, 2011 at IIT Guwahati.
- January 2010 – September 2014, Institute fellowship, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
- Ranked within the top 6.3% of the candidates, who appeared for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE - 2009) conducted by the seven I.I.Ts and IISC Bangalore for entrance to the postgraduate programs, with an All India Rank (AIR) of 1410.
- Got third prize for the project “COOL INNOVATIONS”, National Technology Day celebrations, Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Engineering College, May 9 2007, sponsored by Punjab Council of Science and Technology, Chandigarh, India.
- Selected as the Group Leader of Quiz contest committee in national level ISTE Tech Fair’05, Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Engineering College, Punjab, India.
Message to Students & Community
- Be yourself: Any system resonates (achieves the maximum) only at its natural frequency
- Believe in god and do the right